CDJMasterTech, Jeep MasterTech
Experience:  Factory trained and certified Jeep Master Technician, ASE Master Technician

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee: cyl 4wd keeps cutting off..park..restarts

Customer Question

My 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee 6 cyl 4wd keeps cutting off. It usually happens when it picks up high speeds but it most recently did it at the drive-thru. Nevertheless, after putting the vehicle in park it always restarts. In the past 7 days my husband has changed the ignition coil, fuel pump, strainer, and fuel filter. He also cleaned the throttle body, changed the throttle sensor, crank sensor, and camshaft sensor just yesterday and took it for a test drive afterwards and it still cuts off. We have read previous posts and found out that it may be the Auto Shutdown relay but we have no clue as to what exactly it's function is, where its actually located, or if that could even be a potential reason as to why its cutting off.

Category: Jeep
Expert:  CDJMasterTech replied 5 years ago.
Do you have any stored codes? What does the starts since clear counter read in the PCM? Your description of the problem indicates the most likely cause to be a PCM, Powertrain Control Module, failure. However without answers to these questions I can not be certain. The PCM is the main engine computer.