joe moore
joe moore, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Technical school graduation ase certification in airconditioning

98 wrangler sport: real bad from above idle thru mid pedal..backfire

I have a 98 wrangler sport 4L. It runs real bad from above idle thru mid pedal. It starts to pop and backfire. If I put the pedal to the floor it takes off and runs great. This happens periodically, and often after flooring it and winding it out a little its OK. I have 180K on it, and just tuned it up. I do have a distributor issue which may need to be considered. A couple years ago a distributor cap screw snapped. I have been running it with one screw and the other side snap tied down. This has worked fine for over 30K, so I am not sure it has anything to do with this problem.

Category: Jeep
Expert:  joe moore replied 5 years ago.
hi mark, where does the backfire sound like its coming from? the muffler/exhaust? or under the hood. also have you scanned for codes(is the check engine light on) also , I don't think it has anything to do with the distributor cap
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Sounds like they come from under the hood. There is no check engine light on. i and others feel it is the TPS. I have had check engine lights in the past which were TPS and after some carb cleaner in the fuel and sprayed in the throttle body it cleared up. I am confused by the lack of a light.

Expert:  joe moore replied 5 years ago.
I want you to check something very simple for me, check your air filter, and pcv valve. the high idle does point to the tps though. but check those other items form me and let me know what you find