Pavlin Koev
Pavlin Koev, Technician
Experience:  17 years hands on, cars and trucks, gas and diesel
41577536

jeep cherokee: stalls, wont start consistantly, and bucks.1993

stalls, won't start consistantly, and bucks.1993 jeep cherrokee 4.0 in line six
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Pavlin Koev replied 3 years ago.

Pavlin Koev :

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help.

Pavlin Koev :

remove engine comuter and inspect plug for corrosion, if you can get another one, it will be best.

Customer:

Tried a new after market computer but the new one did not work at all. Will try a new brain for the car. Is an after market computer acceptable in your opinion?

Pavlin Koev :

yes it is, but I think you have security which has to be mached to the car

Customer:

So this explains the intermittent nature of the problem? With my other computers it either works or doesn't. Are you saying it is an intermittent problem with the cannon plug? Just trying to understand what the other posibilities are here. Appreciate the help by the way.

Pavlin Koev :

vehicle is old and wiring and connectors will have a lot oxidation, must be cleaned as best as you can, also open original computer and look at the board for corrosion and or overheating places, look at bottom of capacitors, if you see hot spots or leakage of if they are bulging replace.

Pavlin Koev :

have you tried using passenger door only to enter and start?

Customer:

Okay, you are the man. Everything you say is consistant with my prior experiences. My girl friend is sitting here cracking jokes and if you could hear they you would know how hard this conversation has been@! She is FUNNY! Feel that without your actually getting under the hood with us you have helped. Never did like intermittent problems. Am wondering if this is a common issue or if you have had these problems in the past. Everyhting we have found on line made no mention of this and we specifically heard that the brains were rarely if ever a problem. If you come up anything more specific please feel free to let us know. We did look over the brain and the connectors closely but the connector expecially hard to see into. Thanks for the advice.

Customer:

Was the suggestion to use on ly the passenger door to enter and start meant for us?

Pavlin Koev :

yes try passenger door only, and see if any difference, if it is it will indicate problem with door alarm switch, I can send you computer plug wiring so you can check power and ground and signals, also try another ASD relay

Customer:

Oh my! So what is an ASD ? CAn you tell me more about the door alarm switch and its system interface?

Pavlin Koev :

click here to see computer plug

Pavlin Koev :

you can print this

Customer:

Okay, will check on this, get right back at ya!

Customer:

Okay so a quick look at the picture, do you know which pin you think is the problem. As long as I have you on the line that is. really do appreciate the help. And what is an ASD relay?

Pavlin Koev :

clcik here to see

Pavlin Koev :

ASD relay see here

Pavlin Koev :

click here for location

Customer:

Pavlin, one more point that just came up. The neighbor "helped out" years ago and put an aftermarket alarm system on the vehicle which has since been disconnected. Without looking at the car could this be part of the problem?

Pavlin Koev :

if system is disconnected and vehicle was working, then answer is NO.

Pavlin Koev :

any codes in there?

Customer:

Codes? What do you mean by codes? The check eng light comes on frequently when its stalling out and the best we can tell is the codes are associated with fuel injectors. Have checked the injectors and found no problems. Also, the wire bundle from the computer travels along the top of the engine and when we took it out from under its cover some of the wires were melted together and we had to put them together with butt connectors. But as I said, it has run fine until it doesn't which is a tough problem to trouble shoot.

Pavlin Koev :

sounds like you hame more wires that may be messed up. open the harness, inspect connectors

Customer:

She is now talking about pushing the car over the end of a very high bridge!

Customer:

Can you suggest a good bridge?

Pavlin Koev :

when turn ign to ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON light will start blinking, slow codes are 2 digits fast blinks sigle digits. like 1 slow and 2 fast will be code 12

Pavlin Koev :

Jeorge Washingto is OK

Customer:

Okay, what do we do with the codes? And we were looking for a higher bridge actually ....

Pavlin Koev :

send them to me I will help you

Customer:

ok we are getting the codes, hold on...

Customer:

Okay, I did it several times until it looked like I understood what it was doing. The code I came up with may not make sense but this is what I got from counting the flashes 1,2,2,7,1,7,2,7,2,7,5,5 Does that make sense?

Customer:

there did not seem to be a disernable difference in the speed of the flashes. Maybe I was looking at it wrong.

Customer:

The way I saw it was there were flashes and a break and then another series of flashes. If the difference was suppose to be in the lenghts of the flashes then I completely missed that and I watched it several times.

Pavlin Koev, Technician
Experience: 17 years hands on, cars and trucks, gas and diesel
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
do it again, it will be flash 2.5 seconds pulse and then another flash, they will repeat and at the end 55 is end of codes.
17 is for engine running cold too long. possible open thermostat. 27 is injector circuit problem. 12 is power interruption 55 end of codes. ASD relay may cause injector circuit failure or the wiring that you have found to be melted.