joe moore
joe moore, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Technical school graduation ase certification in airconditioning

1999 xj: td..Engine stumbles when running as if not grtting fuel

1999 xj 2.5 td. Engine "stumbles" when running as if not grtting fuel or trying to shut off.This happens when driving or stationary. Any thoughts on the possible cause.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  joe moore replied 5 years ago.

hi, I think your problem is much simpler, most times the idle air control valve and throttle body will become caked in carbon and just needs a good cleaning, worst case scenario, will be that the idle air control valve is bad and in need replacement. so clean entire throttle body, throttle plate and the idle air control valve pintle(the little thing that goes in and out to adjust air consumption). see how it goes, if there is no check engine light on indicating specifically that the idle air control valve/motor is faulty then just clean it no need to replace it. also if there is a check engine light on, have it scanned . we have places that will do it for free, I don't know if you guys do. and then let me know what they are

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks,where is this valve located on the turbo diesel engine.

This vehicle has done 62000 miles and though the problem was previously intermittent it is now there every 3 or four minutes of running time and at all engine revs.
There are no engine management lights coming on.

Is your diagnosis still the same.

Expert:  joe moore replied 5 years ago.
it's located on the throttlebody assembly, right before the throttle plate , yes its still the same