brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,

how do i bleed my 2002 jeep grand cherokee limited brakes

Customer Question

Category: Jeep
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer,

My name is Jeff and I am here to try and assist your with your question.

Use Mopar brake fluid, or an equivalent quality fluid meeting SAE J1703-F and DOT 3 standards only. Use fresh, clean fluid from a sealed container at all times.

Do not pump the brake pedal at any time while bleeding. Air in the system will be compressed into small bubbles that are distributed throughout the hydraulic system. This will make additional bleeding operations necessary.

Do not allow the master cylinder to run out of fluid during bleed operations. An empty cylinder will allow additional air to be drawn into the system. Check the cylinder fluid level frequently and add fluid as needed. Bleed only one brake component at a time in the following sequence:

1. Fill the master cylinder reservoir with brake fluid.
  2. If calipers are overhauled, open all caliper bleed screws. Then close each bleed screw as fluid starts to drip from it. Top off master cylinder reservoir once more before proceeding.
  3. Attach one end of bleed hose to bleed screw and insert opposite end in glass container partially filled with brake fluid. Be sure end of bleed hose is immersed in fluid.
  4. Open up bleeder, then have a helper press down the brake pedal. Once the pedal is down close the bleeder. Repeat bleeding until fluid stream is clear and free of bubbles. Then move to the next wheel.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
where is the bleeder and what does it look like
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.
Located on the brake caliper above where the brake line attaches to the caliper. Looks like a small bolt with a hole in the middle of it
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.
Yes it looks like a grease nipple. Yes the brake line bolt will have a hole in it