Matt Hardy
Matt Hardy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Auto Tech, ASE L1, Jeep/Chrysler Dealer Tech, 18 yrs exp
24870662

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee: V6..overheating..the trip I..water pump

I have a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.7L V6, While driving back from california yesterday, the VIC said my transmission was overheating. Prior to the trip I replaced the water pump. The jeep was towed home last night, today, I turned it on, let it idle and drove around the block a few times. It began to overheat again, when I pulled into the driveway, the temp went down. The top radiator hose is hot (about 185 degrees) and the lower hose is warm (about 95 degrees). There is no dipstick to check the a/t fluid, just has a cap. When we pulled off the road last night, there was coolant all over under the hood like it sprayed out from somewhere, I turned the jeep off, and shortly after it would not start. It finally did start about 10 minutes later, and I drove about a mile down the road and the temp shot up again, and started idleing rough, and I could hear a whirring sound from under the jeep while driving.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Matt Hardy replied 3 years ago.

Matt Hardy :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer, my name is Matt.

Customer:

hi

Matt Hardy :

When you replace the water pump, what procedure did you use to bleed the cooling system?

Customer:

I just removed the waterpump and coolant came out, after that just topped it off, did not flush

Customer:

on a side note I drove it to cali from az with no problems, but on the way back at about 7 hours is when it happened

Matt Hardy :

Are you near the Jeep now?

Customer:

it is down stairs

Customer:

so yes

Matt Hardy :

OK, look on the engine, right where the upper hose connects to the engine, there should be a threaded fitting. This is the bleeder for the cooling system.

Customer:

ok

Matt Hardy :

On the 3.7L and 4.7L engines, it is very important to remove this fitting when refilling the cooling system. It is very unlikely the air will purge out without removing this bleeder fitting. It requires a hex tool, 8mm if I remember correctly.

Customer:

so i should remove this fitting, with the engine off, to let the coolant equalize?

Matt Hardy :

first take the radiator cap off so the system is not pressurized. Then take the fitting out. Add coolant to the radiator until it begins to flow from the bleeder hole. Then reinstall the bleeder fitting (with sealer or teflon tape so it does not leak). Then start the engine and top off the coolant in the radiator. Now the system is bled, no air. Then top off the coolant bottle.

Customer:

can do, so you dont think there is any problem with the transmission?

Matt Hardy :

Maybe. Sounds like the engine overheated pretty good. I probably would replace the thermostat since it got so hot. Then do the bleed procedure I explained above. Then hope for the best. If the engien seems OK, then have the trans fluid changed.

Customer:

ok I will give this a try.

Customer:

brb

Matt Hardy :

Thanks for using Just Answer. Reply back if you need more help.

Matt Hardy :

Another thing....what kind of coolant are you using? Keep in mind that your Jeep needs orange coolant, not green.

Customer:

wow, that was the best $18 i've spent in a long time

Customer:

oh, im using the green kind, its a "universal" although i try my hardest to stay away from universal things, i was in a bind and thats all they had

Matt Hardy :

universal should be OK

Customer:

where is the drain for the radiator, on the bottom driver side

Matt Hardy :

I would not open that unless you have to....sometimes they don't reseal properly...then you're in a pickle

Matt Hardy :

I always just pull the lower hose off

Customer:

ahh, good point, well i just drove for about 5 miles, half with a/c and half without, and the temp is holding stady

Matt Hardy :

this is after doing the bleed procedure?

Customer:

i would have never thought to do that

Customer:

yes

Customer:

the radiator took almost a gallon of coolant

Matt Hardy :

OK, hopefully all is well. Keep an eye on the temp gauge and the coolant level.

Matt Hardy :

Overheating can damage the head gaskets...hopefully this did not happen!!!

Customer:

oh i will, stupid me, after i changed the water pump, i just added coolant to the resivoir, not the radiator

Matt Hardy :

Live and learn, right?

Customer:

word

Customer:

i will drive it to school and see how it does, 45 minute ride to school

Matt Hardy :

Customer:

its strange how we drove it to cali (la then to san diego) no problems, and it over heats like 5 miles from my house

Matt Hardy :

That is hard to explain.

Customer:

it is indeed, thankyou

Matt Hardy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Auto Tech, ASE L1, Jeep/Chrysler Dealer Tech, 18 yrs exp