Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport: 4.0L Auto trans..doesnt work..column

Customer Question

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L Auto trans. Front windshield washer doesn't work. I have replaced the pump as well as the column switch assembly. I get a good ground going to the pump however no voltage on the hot side. The cover on the fuse box says to refer to the owners manual which is useless as it doesn't provide info as to what fuse goes where so I cannot tell if it is something as simple as a blown fuse. I ran a jumper to the new pump which ran however no washer fluid was dispensed.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks.

The switch provides the washer pump power on a brown wire.....So if the brown wire has power leaving the switch which it should then there is a break somewhere in the wire, its usually easier just to run an ew wire.....If its still not pumping when plugged in with voltage then there is probably a kinked line.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The hot wire on this Jeep is black with a white tracer. I'll root around higher on the harness and see if I can find a brown wire and get back with you.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Ok, let me know my wire diagram shows a brown wire.....Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I found a brown wirewith the washer hose running next to it close to the firewall and spliced into it. The pump now runs however it runs all the time the wipers are on. When I bought this Jeep the rear washer and wiper didn't work. I replaced the switch and motor and now it works fine. Any possible relationship??
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
It sounds like you may hae spliced into one of the brown wires with a tracer..The one you need to splice into is a solid brown wire...You can use a voltmeter or a testlight to verify the wire you splice into only has voltage with pump command.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Found the wire and spliced it. Pump runs. Removed cowl to look for kinked line but didn't find any. I can blow through the line and hear bubbles in the reservoir. I can suck on the line and get washer fluid. Still won't pump.
The pump is a NAPA pump that came with an extra pig tail ( to match connectors) so it can be used for either front or rear washer. Could that be an issue??
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
The connectors shouldnt matter...Double check that ground and power are good and strong with a testlight. If both good you could try to reverse polarity on pump to see if that makes a difference, if not replace...You can also see how good fluid pumpes directly out of pump.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'll try that tomorrow. It's Miller time!
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Sounds good, let me know if you run into questions. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well woke up this AM to a washer fluid puddle on the floor towards rear of Jeep. Might be from me blowing thru the lines. Now the rear pump won't work however wiper does. I took the reservoir assembly out and sure enough the rear pump is now bad (looks pretty coroded) so I will replace it Monday. I don't seem to get any power at the pigtail so I will look at connections again. I'll let you know what I find out. It's almost Miller time anyway!
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Sounds good, let me know. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Purchased and installed pump for rear washer. Does not work with rear wiper swirch but does if I connect directly to battery. Found hoses were reversed (that's why the puddle at back of Jeep). I corrected that. Front washer works however all the time. The wires I found at the firewall are brown with white tracer, green with yellow tracer, blue, black and maybe brown or purple that's the one I spliced to. Is there any place you would suggest to splice? Again the hot wire coming off the front pump was black with white tracer. I am going to see if the rear switch has gone bad in the mean time.
Checked out rear switch continuity per Jeeps diagram. Checks out OK.
Removed cowl to verify if there was another brown wire. I found one, spliced in and it produces voltage at all the wiper positions. Probably the same one that was a little discolored (purple) under the hood.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is the fact both front and rear washer are not working related. Are the washer circuits fused and if so which fuse(s).
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Check the 30 amp circuit breaker in location 20 of the fusebox under hood, this breaker provides both the switch and wiper motor power on a dark blue wire.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ALL fuses under hood are OK. Front and rear wipers work it's just the washers that won't activate. If I jump from the battery directly to the pumps both front and rear work. This is a 2 door Jeep. Don't know if that makes any difference. My diagram shows a brown wire running to the windshield pump however my jeep has a black wire with white tracer for the hot and black for the ground. When I run a new wire from the brown wire under the cowl the washers activate all the time as they do if I run off the brown with white trace wire. I'm stumped esp. since the rear washer worked fine when I first started this project.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.

Use a testlight at the switch to figure out which wire ONLY has voltage when in wash position, then inspect that wire between switch and pump.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm giving up and taking it to a local repair shop. Everything checks out and I am afraid I may damage something as our wiring schematics do not match what is on the vehicle.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
What colors are the wires at the pump on both pump side and connector side?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hot is black with white tracer. Ground 2 black wires together. Hot terminates in plug with multiple wires mounted on front wall behing head light.
I'll let you know what shop finds out.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.

I just looked at the wiring diagrams on a 99 and 01 and they all seem to be the same....My diagrams show a black wire for a ground and a brown wire going from the pump to pin 3 of switch connector. The rear washer power is a black/white wire that goes from the washer pump to pin 2 of the rear wiper switch connector......If wipers work but not pumps it can pretty much only be a wiring problem. Here is the wire diagram I have.

http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo303/djenn434/Uploads/pumps_0000.jpg

http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo303/djenn434/Uploads/pumps_0001.jpg