sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

My 2000 wrangler will not crank, no power to the starter solenoid from the engine start re

My 2000 wrangler will not crank, no power to the starter solenoid from the engine start relay,I have 12volts at the start relay waiting to be sent to the solenoid but there is no power energizing the relay when the ignition switch is turned to start. My haynes manual says pink/black wire is the hot wire coming into the ignition switch and yellow wire goes out to the starter relay to energize it. If I jumper out the pink/black wire to the yellow wire the starter cranks. I assumed the ignition switch was faulty so I replaced it but that did not fix the problem, I rang out the contacts on the new and old ignition switch and neither one show continuity across the contacts for the pink/black and yellow wires when the ignition switch is placed to the start position? is my Haynes schematic wrong? additionally when i jumper out the pink/black to the yellow wire the engine cranks but will not start, i assume this is because by doing this i'm only satisfying the crank circuit and not the fuel ci
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds like your problem is in the steering column. There is a square metal driveshaft that engages into the ignition switch, this comes from the lock cylinder and is what actuates the switch when you turn the key. What happens on these is this square drive piece will break and it doesn't allow the ignition switch to fully go to the crank position and the starter doesn't crank.

What you'll need to do is remove the ignition switch and take a look at this drive shaft, making sure it's intact. I doubt it will be - if by chance it's ok then you have a bad ignition switch again, but that's unlikely.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the drive mechanism from the ignition cylinder looks okay,I bypassed the ignition cylinder by just slaving the new ignition switch into the wire harness and rotated the mechanism in the switch with a screwdriver to the start position and it still did not crank.

You inserted a screwdriver into the back side of the switch, turned it all the way forward (where it's heavily spring loaded), and there was still no power on the yellow wire?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That is correct, I rang that circuit of the switch as well across the contacts of the switch in the start position and there was no continuity. It points to a bad switch again, is it indeed the pink/black and yellow wires that completes this circuit on a 2000 or is my manual incorrect

The pink/black wire in pin 3 isn't related to the starting circuit, it's an accessory power feed. The start circuit is powered from the red wire in pin 7, which comes from fuse 14 in the power distribution center.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay, that is different from my manual schematic. The red wire has no power on it, i will go check fuse 14.......................fuse rings good but lots of corrosion on contacts in PDC.............cleaned contacts, she fired right up.....Thanks Craig
That's great, I'm glad to hear it!