sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Jeep Commander My jeep commander 06 - wont start - it wont

Customer Question

My jeep commander 06 - won't start - it won't even turn over. I don't see any error code when I do the key trick. I hear a single click, on what I believe is the starter, when I try to start in Park or Neutral - but don't hear the same click when I try to start it in drive or reverse. This makes me believe that the information is making it to the starter correctly but the starter will not even attempt to turn over the engine. I have read in many forums that replacing the starter, starter switch and battery might correct the issue once, but it will return. I would like a long term solution for reliability, but would appreciate any quick tips to find out what it is or maybe even to get it to start - so it doesn't leave me stranded.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Are the headlamps nice and bright?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I forgot to mention that I charged the battery as well - it charged pretty fast - 10 min.

Great.

There are a couple possible causes for this, and it's going to take some simple electrical testing at the starter.

There's a good chance it's the starter. If you hear a single solid click when you turn the key to the crank position that's from the starter drive gear engaging to crank the engine but the starter motor itself doesn't run.

The other likely possible cause is corrosion between the terminal and wire at the starter solenoid. This isn't a water tight connection and moisture will start to corrode where the terminal crimps to the wire where you can't see it. The first thing I would do is either load test the output to the solenoid or replace this terminal. If a load test shows low output then the next step would again be to replace the terminal.

What I do is cut the old terminal off and slide a piece of heat shrink tubing up the wire. Then crimp the new terminal on and seal the back side with the heat shrink. This along with some dielectric grease on the front side of the connection will stop it from coming back in the future.

If this doesn't take care of it, or the load test shows ok and there is positive voltage to the large cable on the starter, then the starter will need to be replaced.