brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

1980 Jeep CJ7: ignition wont turn to the on position..turn to acc

My 1980 Jeep CJ7 ignition won't turn to the on position, it will turn to acc and back to off. Any ideas thanks Cecil
Category: Jeep
Expert:  brownjeff replied 6 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question. Most likely the lock cylinder itself needs replaced. To check the ignition switch is at the bottom of the steering column and hooks to the cylinder with a rod. Take and disconnect the rod and see if the cylinder will turn then if it does the ignition switch is the problem and if it don't the lock cylinder is the problem
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Jeff, how do you go about checking the lock cylinder? I have read articles about removing the cylinder, they say insert key and turn to the on posititon clockwise and insert punch into hole. My problem with this is it won't turn to the on position
Expert:  brownjeff replied 6 years ago.
If you can't get it to turn to the on position you have to take a drill and where you would put the punch to push the tab you have to drill out the tab then the lock cylinder will come out and you will have to replace it
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That's a bit extreme for me, I have not even located the hole to insert a punch, I better leave this job to a professional!!!
Expert:  brownjeff replied 6 years ago.
Yes can be a little bit of a job to do this but if it wont turn this is what will need done.