Richard, Jeep Technician
Experience:  Over 22 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.
18534624

My gear shift wont move from park, how do I get it to move

My gear shift won't move from park, how do I get it to move
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

When you turn the key on and press the brake, does the shifter move to the right and just not down into reverse?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the shifter does not move at all. However, I do have remote starter in the car and used it last night to start the car up. Now, when I went out to leave the car started up but I couldn't put shift into gear. Now my husband went out and used the remote starter to start the car up and now the car won't shut off. Could it be the remote starter in the car?
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Can you get the vehicle to shut off if you hit the brake?

If not, can you check to see if the brake lights are working?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the vehicle just shut off now, but the shifter will not budge. Its in locked position

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Can you check to see if the brake lights work when you step on the brakes?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
brake lights do not work when pressing on the brake
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

That is why the shifter won't move out of park. The instrument cluster needs to see a brake switch input before it operates the interlock solenoid.

Do you want to test this out yourself, or would you like to be able to shift into gear so you can get this diagnosed at a shop?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX we would like to test this ourselves so I could be able to drive car to shop to have it looked at
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Do you have a test light or voltmeter?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Oh boy! no we do not. I guess I am going to have this car towed, but my only concern is that I can't get the car into neutral how can i get it towed then?
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
I can help you get this out of park! Do you have your owners manual?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX I do

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

If you go to page # XXXXX it will show you how to override this to get the shifter out of park.

There is a removable plug in the right side of the shifter housing that allows you to insert your finger to override the system. The key must be in the ignition and in the on position to

use the override lever.

I would like you to check fuse # XXXXX(small 10 amp) in the engine compartment fuse box to see if it's burnt.

Let me know!

Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no it is not burnt

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Then you could have a brake switch problem. If you want I can help you test this is you purchase a test light. They are cheap to but and you can get one at you local parts store.

You should be able to get the gear shit out of park by pushing the override.

Let me know!

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok, but my husband wants to know where the override switch is
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

use the override lever.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok going to try it now, will let you know

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Thank you!Smile

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok, that worked thank you. I will bring to the car to the dealership tomorrow. Thank you for all your help!
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

You are very welcome, I'm glad you were able to get it out of park!

Thank you,Smile

Richard, Jeep Technician
Experience: Over 22 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.