Vladgmru
Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician
Experience:  I've been working with American made cars since 1992.
12883947

2005 Jeep Liberty: CRD..I replace the EGR valve or MAP sensor

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD throwing code p0069. Whatd does this mean on the crd? Should I replace the EGR valve or MAP sensor? Also, the Presure control Valve appears to be blowing large amounts of oil out of it

Vladgmru :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.My name isXXXXX have checked diesel powertrain manual and haven't found P0069 trouble code. Can you recheck and give me a correct DTC number?

JACUSTOMER-qd2eg2f2- :

p0069 is an OBD2 code for Barometric Pressure Correlation. mopar says the jeep is obd2 certified. im a gasoline mechanic and am completely lost on this 2.8L vm motori common rail turbodiesel motor (other than giving it an oil change. any other system on this car i can rebuild blindfolded). I doubled checked and the car does have and OBD2 emittions module. I deleted the p0069 in an effort to confirm it will pop back up and still have yellow emissions light, and the emissions module light on my scanner is flashing. local dealership doesn't employ a diesel mechanic (small town and we dont have a lot of farm land). Things I've done: Removed EGR valve & cleaned (reinstalled), removed and cleaned MAP sensor (reinstalled), Removed & cleaned air pressure sensor (reinstalled), open gas cap to equalize pressure, retraced & tested all wire back to ecm (all wires good. all voltages to and from sensors good). I'm starting to think because the engine is doing this intermittently that its just vapor lock in a dirty engine.

Vladgmru :

Well, I checked genuine Chrysler Diesel Powertrain diagnostics and can assure you there is not P0069 trouble code for those 2.8L VM Motori engines. It sounds that you scanner shows wrong number. You should use a DRB III scan tool in order to properly diagnose the car. There are two problems I have seen on those engines:

Vladgmru :

1) Turbo air charge hose splitting

Vladgmru :

2) A glow plug failure.

Vladgmru :

Even you local dealer does not employ a diesel experienced technician, they do have a DRBIII scanner so ask them to scan this Liberty and let me know the correct trouble code number and will try to give you correct directions.

Vladgmru :

Thanks, Vlad

Vladgmru :

.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
while the diesel books do say that you are correct, I noticed what was wrong when I did some research on diesel. The motor in it is designed for European diesel, which on average has a cetane rating around 65 - 70. Here in the United States, the average cetane rating on diesel is around 45 - 50. I cleaned the egr valve, added cetane booster and fuel system cleaner, deleted all codes, retested by driving from Kansas City to Denver and back on state highways & county roads (used about 2 20 gallon tanks worth of diesel), pulled egr valve off & inspected (cleaner than after I cleaned it), and verified no codes present by taking it to a Jeep dealer in Kansas City. I put on about 1200 miles and still have no code.

*I used county roads and state highways so I could simulate having to stop and go. Interstate Highways have no stops, and here in Kansas its just one long hilly road in between KC and Denver.