ricardo hohl
ricardo hohl, Instructor
Experience:  ase master certified ,and factory certified,also autmotive instructor for 28 years

Jeep Cherokee i have a 96 cherokee, have no power to coil,

i have a 96 cherokee, have no power to coil, replaced coil, replaced ignition switch, tested ecu, hooked it up to another jeep it started so i know its good, checked neutral safety switch its good all relays and fuses are good still no power at coil, desperately need some positive feed back as to problem, thanks
Category: Jeep
Expert:  ricardo hohl replied 3 years ago.

ricardo hohl :

hi,have you check for 12volts power to the positive side of the coil?

Customer:

yes no power to the connection at all

ricardo hohl :

ok, locate the auto shot down relay and lest check for power to that relay, let me know when you locate the relay is at the relay center engine compartment.

Customer:

ok i am in side at my computer not at vehicle, i know where the relay is , i replaced the relay but did not check the plug in location for power

ricardo hohl :

ok, remove the relay and with a test light see if you have 2 powers precent with the ignition on.

Customer:

ok i will go check be right back

Customer:

ok i checked i have power at 2 locations where the relay plugs in

ricardo hohl :

Full Size Image
this is the wiew of the femail side of the conector when removing the relay check the conectors outline for fuse ignition power switch power and fuse +

ricardo hohl :

ok lest check the ground side with a test light on reverse polarity conect the allagator clip to positive side of battery and touch the ground side of the relay looking at the conector view .

Customer:

ok but did not get the view,

Customer:

which location is the ground side

ricardo hohl :

Full Size Image

Customer:

ok got it

ricardo hohl :

b9-87a

ricardo hohl :

let me know if the test light lights up.

Customer:

yes it lights up at 87 and lights up for a second when i touch it to 85

ricardo hohl :

ok, install a wire inside the output terminal of the relay and put the relay back in and with the test light conected properlly check for output power when crancking.

Customer:

so put a wire in 86 and put relay back in and check for power when cranking is this correct

ricardo hohl :

yes

Customer:

ok i did this and the light stays on bright, but also the jeep cranked up and ran for about 5 to 10 seconds then died again and would not start back

ricardo hohl :

ok there is a problem here give me 2 minutes.

Customer:

ok

ricardo hohl :

ok, take that wire and install it in to terminal 87 and do the same test.

ricardo hohl :

remove it from terminal 86 and install it on 87. not on 87A

ricardo hohl :

ok, let me know when ready.

Customer:

ok ricardo i got my wife to try to start it and it started right up, but would not idle, then it started to idle, if you shut it off it will not start unless you idle it up,or rev it up then it will idlebut if you shut it off it goes right back to not idling,could it be that i have to drive it to reset the ecu where i hade it out of the vehicle for over an hour, i was told that it would have to reset itself for the vehicle

ricardo hohl :

ok i guess the relay conector was having a conection problem thats why you had no power to the coil. ok if it does not idle is because it may need to relearn the idle spot, you will need to drive for 3 miles and turn the a/c on this will help to set the idle faster, first you need to reset the computer values by disconecting the negative side of the battery for 3 minutes then reconect start and road est.

ricardo hohl, Instructor
Experience: ase master certified ,and factory certified,also autmotive instructor for 28 years