Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...

Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Mechanic
Experience:  Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years

2003 Jeep Liberty Limited: All four door speakers..blown..Alpine..amp

I have a 2003 Jeep Liberty Limited. All four door speakers have blown. We purchased 4 new 6.5 Alpine speakers to replace them, until we realized that each speaker is attached to it's own individual amp. I JUST had the stereo/CD player replaced by the dealer, so I'd rather not have to buy a whole new system. What is the best way to go about fixing this problem?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 3 years ago.

All four door speakers have blown

That very seldom happens
You need to reconnect Factory Radio & test the BLACK / RED wire for voltage + at Speakers.
If no Voltage check the Radio Choke Relay:

The amplifier choke and relay is used to switch power to the individual speaker amplifiers used with the premium speaker package. The amplifier choke and relay is serviced only as a unit. If all of the speakers are inoperative the amplifier choke and relay should be inspected. Before replacement, make the following inspections of the amplifier choke and relay circuits. For complete circuit diagrams, refer to the appropriate wiring information. The wiring information includes wiring diagrams, proper wire and connector repair procedures, details of wire harness routing and retention, connector pin-out information and location views for the various wire harness connectors, splices and grounds.

1. Check the fused B(+) fuse in the junction block. If OK, go to Step 2. If not OK, replace the faulty fuse.
  2. Check for battery voltage at the fused B(+) fuse in the junction block. If OK, go to Step 3. If not OK, repair the open fused B(+) circuit to the battery as required.
  3. Disconnect the instrument panel wire harness connector from the amplifier choke and relay. Check for battery voltage at the fused B(+) circuit cavity of the instrument panel wire harness connector for the amplifier choke and relay. If OK, go to Step 4. If not OK, repair the open fused B(+) circuit to the junction block fuse as required.
  4. Probe the ground circuit cavity of the instrument panel wire harness connector for the amplifier choke and relay. Check for continuity to a good ground. There should be continuity. If OK, go to Step 5. If not OK, repair the open ground circuit to ground as required.
  5. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position and turn the radio ON. Check for battery voltage at the radio 12 volt output circuit cavity of the instrument panel wire harness connector for the amplifier choke and relay. If OK, go to Step 6. If not OK, repair the open radio 12 volt output circuit to the radio as required.
  6. Turn the radio and ignition switches to the OFF position. Reconnect the instrument panel wire harness connector to the amplifier choke and relay. Check for battery voltage at the amplified speaker (+) circuit cavity of the instrument panel wire harness connector for the amplifier choke and relay. There should be zero volts . Turn the ignition and radio switches to the ON position. There should now be battery voltage. If OK, repair the open amplified speaker (+) circuits to the speaker-mounted amplifiers as required. If not OK, replace the faulty amplifier choke and relay

graphic

Please keep in mind Just Answer is set up on an honor system.

I have sent the information you have requested.

PLEASE click ACCEPT so that I may get credit, thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
But it's not the amps that aren't working....it's the speakers. Right now I have to turn the bass completely off, and only use the dash speakers in order to listen to music, and not have my ears bleed. Otherwise there is this awful humming and rattling sound that comes from the speakers, that's so bad....it's easier to not even listen to music.

But it's not the amps that aren't working....it's the speakers.

sorry.............I read it as the Speakers were NOT working..........

If the AMPS have power & you are "sure" each speaker is "blown" (keep in mind "ONE" Bad Speaker can cause the others to sound the same way), then you will need to:
a) replace speakers with "exact" model speakers, because of the impedence & manufacture (sometimes you can find these speakers on-line, E-Bay, etc, for less than Jeep)

b) replace Unit, remove or disconnect AMPs & replace speakers with aftermarket

c) replace Unit & speakers with Aftermarket

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok...but which is the best way to go? keeping in mind I already JUST bought the new manufacturer stereo/CD player from the dealer, and it would suck for that to have been a waste, that I am not some music expert I just want a nice sound, and I'm not rich?

as stated above:

Purchase front ones first & see if Rear sound any better, unless you have physically inspected each one already.
Many times just the Speaker Cones come loose from the Speaker Frame.
If there is no tears or holes, this can be repaired by applying RTV around the outside of the Cone, gluing it to the Frame

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you, you've been very helpful. When I went to the dealer, he just wanted to sell me 4 new speakers, and when I went to an audio store, they wanted to tear the whole sound system out and start over from scratch...so it was nice to get an impartial opinion.

I get a number of these & typically the Cones are seperated from the Speaker Frame which causes No Bass & bad noises, which can hurt the AMP attached to it
Be sure to inspect each Speaker as you go & see if that is all it is or if the Speaker is bad

Don 'Mo Lurch', Mechanic
Experience: Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years