Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, L1, Jeep owner, Shop owner
13677702

94 Grand Cherokee: Oil filter adapter..leaking..engine block..Chrysler

Customer Question

I have a 94 Grand Cherokee. Oil filter adapter is leaking at the engine block. I understand there is a screw with a Chrysler pentagon slotted head. Is that the only thing holding the adapter to the block? Is there a special tool for removing it?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I am Randall./ Yes,, you are correct. One center bolt and is an "allen" head but I cant remember size. I just keep one in the box and grab it. On the back side is a o ring. The reson for one bolt per sy, is once you get it loose, you can swing it in different directions. the oring will seal no matter what once you get adapter off.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Tracer,

I'd like to give you the 18 Buck but ther eis no allen head screw on this adapter. There is a 1 inch boss and off to teh side of it there is what looks like a counter sunk screw with a Pentastar head. Can you please double check.
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
The penta star head you refer to is basically what I am saying has to come loose. I have the tool in my box which is a short allen head in socket since space is tight,. If you remove the countersunk bolt with special head, the adpater will come off. You are using the term pentagon or pentastar which is the same as an "allen wrench" with the 5 sides. I am sorry i just do not remember the size used. Once you remove or lossen it, the adapter will spin around on the oring behind it so.. you can actually tighten in any position you want
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry and take it back. Jeep went from allen to what is called Torx head so if it looks more like a star? its Torx, if 5 sides? "allen"
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
If your adapater has the TORX style ( looks like a star) it will be T-60 size Torx . In some cases you can use an allen wrench adn it will still fit the Torx but not as good and could strip so best getting the T-60 torx bit
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
graphic

graphic

graphic
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master Tech, L1, Jeep owner, Shop owner
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Tracer,

OK we are getting close to an answer. The picture really helps. The adapter I am looking at do not have the Black Cap with the hex head. I can see what you are talking about. I just went and double checked. There is that black cap, however there is no hex looks like maybe 7/8" . It is completely round. I am an aircraft mechanic, and can tell it is not stripped its just round.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Tracer,

Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
I have no idea. Is it recessed at all like something would fit in and loosen it? or are you saying is is just a round cap, no recess and thats it?

are you saying 7/8th in diameter? these pics are from my personal 1993 cherokee and have done quite few over the years
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It is recessed and it is round. One could say the hex is stripped, but there are absolutley no wear marks. Its machined round...but recessed
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
I have never seen this. Yes, seen them stripped and have stripped a few over the years. Ok,, option # XXXXX I have doen this several times. Little tricky but once you find the best tool that fits, it does work.

I realize the surface area of the head of the bolt is not much to work with but... we have used small pipe wrench, medium channel locks pliers as well as larger vise grips to really do what you can to grip that out edge of the what we are calling the "cap" It will turn to left. Once you are able to get a good grip with some sort of tool, give it a quick snap. It should come loose. Not much room to work with but.. we have been able to do this. If you cant see the inside of the cap and only feeling? get a small mirror and look real close at it. It may still have some edges for allens to work. If not? then the only choices are: use pliers in some fashion to get it loose OR we have used a cold chisel and walks it loose as well. 99% of the time is only buthe outer edge and you can file it down, no problem. worst case is new adapetr bolt