sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

2000 Jeep Cherokee: airbag of the sensors

My 2000 Jeep Cherokee's airbag light has started to come on intermittently, sometimes for 30 seconds, and sometimes for 5-10 minutes. It seems to do it only on really cold mornings.
I was told that it might be that one of the sensors got tripped, but the airbag did not deploy, because not enough of them were tripped. I just looked elsewhere, and it looked like it might be something wrong with the sensor itself, or the connectors.
Do you know the locations of all the sensors on the Cherokee? (This is not a Grand Cherokee.) It is a 4L 6 cylinder engine.
I am hoping it is something that my husband can backtrack to see if it's an electrical problem vs. a bad part problem. Thank you for any help you can give me.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The first thing hat needs to be done is use a scan tool to see what fault codes have stored in the ABS module. When the airbag light is on it's because the airbag module has seen a problem somewhere in the system, turned on the warning light and disabled the airbags.

The problem could be a number of things. It could be anything from either of the airbags to the airbag module itself, the clockspring in the steering column, or wiring between any of the components. One of the most common causes of an airbag light is the clockspring, which is in the steering column behind the wheel and is what makes electrical contact between the wheel and column.