Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 how can i change the starter on my

how can i change the starter on my 4x4 2007 jeep grand cherokee hemi?

here you go:

1. Disconnect and isolate negative battery cable.

2. Raise and support vehicle.

NOTE

If equipped with 4WD , a support bracket is used between front axle and side of transmission. Remove 2 support bracket bolts at transmission. Pry support bracket slightly to gain access to lower starter mounting bolt.

3. Remove two mounting bolts.

4. Move starter motor towards front of vehicle far enough for nose of starter pinion housing to clear housing. Always support starter motor during this process, do not let starter motor hang from wire harness.

5. Tilt nose downwards and lower starter motor far enough to access and remove nut that secures battery positive cable wire harness connector eyelet to solenoid battery terminal stud. Do not let starter motor hang from wire harness.

6. Remove battery positive cable wire harness connector eyelet from solenoid battery terminal stud.

7. Disconnect battery positive cable wire harness connector from solenoid terminal connector receptacle.

8. Remove starter motor.

The 5.7L engine starter mounting point

The 5.7L engine starter mounting point

To install:

1. Connect solenoid wire to starter motor (snaps on).

2. Position battery cable to solenoid stud. Install and tighten battery cable eyelet nut. Do not allow starter motor to hang from wire harness.

3. Position starter motor to engine.

4. If equipped with automatic transmission, slide cooler tube bracket into position.

5. Install and tighten both mounting bolts.

6. Lower vehicle.

7. Connect negative battery cable.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
mine is 4x4 and there is a drive shaft just below the starter that I can't seem to get around. I could not find access from the top.

Ok, gotcha.

the factory directions omitted this part and I forgot to put in. you do need to remove that driveshaft

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions section.

2. With vehicle in neutral, position vehicle on hoist.

3. Remove half shaft hub/bearing nut.

4. Remove wheel speed sensor from hub/bearing.

5. Remove brake calipers bolts and remove calipers from caliper adapters.

6. Remove lower stabilizer link bolt from control arm.

7. Remove outer tie rod end nuts and separate tie rods from knuckles with the proper tool.

8. Remove upper ball joint nuts and separate ball joints from knuckles with the proper tool.

9. Remove shock clevis bolt and nut from lower control arm

10. Lean the knuckle out and push half shaft out of the hub/bearing.

at this point you will have enough access room. It is a pain to do as they just stuffed too much in this size engine compartment
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i didn't plan to take the entire left front suspension off!!!!!

unfortunately, you wont find another way to do this. Please remember that I am not the designer or engineer. I have to do it the same way myself
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ah, the 'old' days of a small block Chevy in a 1955. Lots of room!!!!

believe me, I miss those days of being able to sit in the engine compartment and work on them and still have elbow room. makes it tough when we get older with these new vehicles!

if you need any more directions not yet provided, please let me know, otherwise please dont forget to click the accept button so i am credited for my time and services, thanks and have a good weekend
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
that's it in a nut shell: older bigger & new cars