Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep and ASE Certified Master Tech
12365498

2003 Jeep liberty: wouldnt start this morning..clicking sound

Customer Question

My 2003 Jeep liberty wouldn't start this morning. It turned on and immediately shut down, afterward I only heard a clicking sound. What could the problem be? BTW ... I'm a female, the hood suspensions are not working, and I don't anyone to help me when I get under the hood at this moment.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to just answer. This could be something as simple as a failed battery or poor connections at the battery cables. If you turn on the headlights are they good and bright? And when you attempt to crank the Jeep with the headlights on, do they stay bright , turn off, or get real dim?

Chris
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just attempted to crank the car, now it seems as isn't attempting to crank, and I simply get the clicking noises. It is raining a bit, and I had to come back inside my apartment. I am unable to tell if the lights are dimming at all with bright of day upon me.
Expert:  Chris replied 3 years ago.

Can you call someone to help you try to jump start the Jeep with jumper cables?

Chris

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Other than calling a tow service, no. I am relatively new to the area, with the closest relative 3 hours away. I am going to try to crank it again. I did notice some corrosion build up on the battery posts/terminals. Can I use regular water to clean it?
Expert:  Chris replied 3 years ago.

Try this: open the hood and try to prop the hood with a sturdy stick, etc. Then make a mixture of baking soda and water, and pour that on the battery cables and terminals. This will remove the corrosion. Make sure the cables are tight and tighten them if needed. Sometimes wiggling the cables will help make a temporary connection. Good luck, and let me know how it goes!

Chris

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've tried and now it doesn't seem to want to crank at all. I just get the clicking noise. Any other suggestions as to what the cause(s) could be? I understand that now, I may have no choice but to take it somewhere, but if I have advice first, I am less likely to get ripped off. I don't have money to throw around as if I am a member of the Rockefeller's. Thanks.

Expert:  Chris replied 3 years ago.

Well, my advice is that this does sound like a failed battery or a bad connection. The other thing it could be is a problem with the security system. Do you have a black or a gray key?

Chris

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My computer froze .. sorry for the lengthy delay, my key is black.
Expert:  Chris replied 3 years ago.

Ok, then we can rule out a security system issue. I think you will need to call a tow service and have them jump start the Jeep so you can then drive it to a shop or auto parts store, Sears, etc and have your battery and charging system tested. This should not be too expensive. Most auto parts stores or Sears will check this for free.

Chris

Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience: Jeep and ASE Certified Master Tech
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Battery wasn't the problem ... O2 sensor is.
Expert:  Chris replied 3 years ago.

Hmmmm, an O2 sensor failing will not cause a no crank or no start problem on any vehicle. You could disconnect the O2 sensor and throw it away and the engine would still start and run. The only thing that maybe it could have been is if the O2 sensor shorted and blew a fuse, but this should have still allowed the engine to start, but the check engine light would come on. Why did the mechanic say that the O2 sensor was keeping the vehicle from cranking?

Chris

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The vehicle cranks, and immediately shuts off, when someone assisted in jumpstarting the car, to allow me to take it to have the battery replaced, we noticed a white plume of smoke coming from the exhaust pipe. They suspected it is the O2 sensor, as the car has been getting less gas mileage. The check engine light has been on for a while, I was told it could be due to a faulty gas cap. A new one was purchased, and the light remained on, at which time I placed the factory gas cap back on the vehicle. I understand now that I should have taken the vehicle in to the dealership to have it evaluated, however, they wanted $90 just to do that. I thank you for your time in trying to resolve my problem, and I realize now that I perhaps should have indicated that the engine light had been on ... it just didn't occur to me until I had been prodded about it.