ricardo hohl
ricardo hohl, Instructor
Experience:  ase master certified ,and factory certified,also autmotive instructor for 28 years
14457476

Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 how to remove starter from a 2005

Customer Question

how to remove starter from a 2005 jeep grand cherokee 5.7XXXXX
Category: Jeep
Expert:  ricardo hohl replied 3 years ago.

ricardo hohl :

Full Size Image
hi, here is the procidure

ricardo hohl :

1. Disconnect and isolate negative battery cable.

2. Raise and support vehicle.

3. NOTE: If equipped with 4WD and certain transmissions, a support bracket is used between front axle and side of transmission. Remove 2 support bracket bolts at transmission. Pry support bracket slightly to gain access to lower starter mounting bolt.

4. Remove two mounting bolts (2).

5. Move starter motor towards front of vehicle far enough for nose of starter pinion housing to clear housing. Always support starter motor (1) during this process, do not let starter motor hang from wire harness.

6. Tilt nose downwards and lower starter motor far enough to access and remove nut that secures battery positive cable wire harness connector eyelet to solenoid battery terminal stud. Do not let starter motor hang from wire harness.

7. Remove battery positive cable wire harness connector eyelet from solenoid battery terminal stud.

8. Disconnect battery positive cable wire harness connector from solenoid terminal connector receptacle.

9. Remove starter motor.

ricardo hohl :

reverse installation procedure.

Customer :

i have followed these steps but i am stuck because i need to remove the wire with plug from the sylynoid

Customer :

Sorry i spelled solenoid incorrectly, hope you knew what i meant

ricardo hohl :

yes ,sorry lost conection for a minute,

ricardo hohl :

ok is it that the screw holding the wire to the solenoid can not be reach?

Customer :

No that one was easy to take off, it is another wire that has a plug on the end

Customer :

Hello are you there? Sorry there seems to be some sort of issue with the system as it keeps saying you stepped out as soon as i post a question

ricardo hohl :

ok that is the ignition switch signal wire is one wire and has a plug at the end.you need to squeaze the conector as you pull to disconect it , because is under the exhaust manifold it will get hard and will not disconect that easy, you need to pull the starter down enough to be able to get to the conector and you will probably have to cut the wire to remove the starter and repair after.

Customer :

any other alternative to cutting the wire?

ricardo hohl :

if the conector got hrd there is no way that it will come off by pushing the locking tab. sorry.

ricardo hohl :

this is nothing new it happens all the time and is due to the location of the starter and the exhaust manifold.