Tom
Tom, ASE Master Certified
Experience:  Chrysler Level 3 Technician, Chrysler Training Instructor
20300296

Where is the fuse for 1998 cherokee power windows located?

Customer Question

where is the fuse for 1998 cherokee power windows located?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Tom replied 3 years ago.

Tom :

It actually has a 30 amp circuit breaker in the fuse box under the hood. Position number 28.

Tom :

Do the windows work from the individual door switches?

Customer:

negative

Customer:

Is that the only fuse for this system?

Tom :

Sory it is not under the hood it is here:

The junction block is mounted on the right cowl side inner panel below the right end of the instrument panel. It is concealed behind the right cowl side trim panel. The junction block serves to simplify and centralize numerous electrical components.

The junction block combines the functions previously provided by a separate fuseblock module and relay center. It contains fuses, circuit breakers and relays. It also eliminates the need for numerous splice connections and serves in place of a bulkhead connector between many of the engine compartment, instrument panel, and body wire harnesses.

Tom :

Yes only fuse (circuit breaker) for the windows.

Customer:

so, it is NOT under the hood?

Tom :

no sorry

Customer:

what is the cowl?

Tom :

Under the gloves box passenger side kick panel

Customer:

that is where the inner fuse panel is, correct?

Tom :

small cover about 4" x 4"

Customer:

wish an image was availabel with a big arrow pointing to it

Tom :

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT]xj807115[/ALT][WIDTH]74.45255474452554[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

Tom :

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT]xj807115[/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

Customer:

looks like you are trying to send an image but all I got was a alot of machine language...

Tom :

try that

Customer:

I see it now...is this bahind the cover that holds innner fuse panel...if I removed it under glove box side?

Tom :

yes

Customer:

ok...which one of these fuses or relays is power windows

Tom :

Number 28 it is toward the top middle

Customer:

ok tom...thank you...how do we pay you? IS door locks also in this area?

Tom :

I'll look for the door lock fuse. Just click the ACCEPT button when your ready.

Customer:

ok..standing by

Tom :

Same fuse panel number 26 10 amp fuse (blue).

Customer:

ok...got it.... thank you hitting accept

Tom :

If the fuse and circuit breaker are ok I would look toward the driver's door master switch. It is one part that contains window, lock, and mirrors. If the little green lights don't light up on the switches than the master switch is bad or there is a bad power wire or ground. The master switch is a common issue for these Cherokees, I have one too.

Tom, ASE Master Certified
Experience: Chrysler Level 3 Technician, Chrysler Training Instructor