brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,

1997 jeep grand cherokee laredo: misfires..readings..blown..muffler

my 1997 jeep grand cherokee laredo misfires alot, engine light on the readings on test shows mulipliemisfires, it has blown off the muffler twice now nobody can fix it even jeep dealer said it needs plugs done that dont help
Category: Jeep
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question. If only getting a multiple misfire code and not a code for a misfire on a specific cylinder then you may have a crank sensor failing. Has it been replaced?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
done that
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.
Distributor cap and wires been replaced?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.
OK....then you will want to remove the distributor cap and see if you can move the rotor for the distributor back and forth by hand to see if there is a lot of play in the distributor gear as this can cause the problem. If not excessive check the timing chain for wear as slop in the chain can also cause the problem your describing
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how would this cause the muffler to blow off
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.
The misfire will cause excessive fuel in the system and then when it does fire and ignite the fuel there is more there than should be and this causes the problem. Also make sure no exhaust leaks in front of the muffler as it will magnify the problem