brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,

Jeep Liberty Limited My 2004 Jeep Liberty wont turn over

Customer Question

My 2004 Jeep Liberty won't turn over when you turn the key. The starter relay makes quite a humming noise. The battery is not that old--maybe a year. I cleaned the connections between the battery posts and the cables--there is a nice metal to metal connection on both positive and negative. I am guessing either there is a bad solenoid or a bad starter at this point. I am not sure where the solenoid is located. I do not hear a clicking noise when turning the key, just the buzzing of the relays.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question. Have you tried a jump start? Do you have a volt meter?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did not try jump starting it--I assume you mean a standard jump start with jumper cables as opposed to routing the battery directly to the starter. I do have a volt meter.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
Yes just jumper cables.

Just want to make sure the battery is good. As for the volt meter. Have someone hold the key in the crank position and tell me what the voltage reading is on the small wire of the starter.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I assume there is a small wire on the starter somewhere under the engine? Is there a small starter wire somewhere else?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
It is on the starter. Number 4 in the picture will show the location of the starter

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You are going to hate this...but my voltmeter was borrowed by my brother and I just realized that I did not get it back. So the botXXXXX XXXXXne is--no I don't have my voltmeter. Is there another way we can troubleshoot the battery?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
Do you have jumper cables to try a jump start?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I do. I will try that right now and get right back to you.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I jumped started the jeep. It cranked over and started. I assume this means I need to replace the battery. Please confirm.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
Correct the battery needs replaced. Make sure nothing was left on that could have drained the battery.
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. I am sure there was nothing on. No dome light, etc. After closer review, I think this battery was older than I originally thought--3 years or so. The heat here in Atlanta can bring a battery to an earlier death. Also, we have had very cold temperatures here lately and my car was left outside overnight the other day when a transmission problem was being fixed at a garage. Thanks for your help. The cost of towing to the garage would have been prohibitive.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
No worries.....

Thanks

Edited by brownjeff on 12/31/2010 at 8:37 PM EST