Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

1994 jeep grand cherokee limited: ive taken the starter..ve replaced

Customer Question

i have a 1994 jeep grand cherokee limited the won't turn over. i've taken the starter to an auto parts store they said it was fine i've replaced the battery because its shot. i've tested the wire between the battery and the starter. i've tested the starter ground. the starter gets 12 volts on the large pole but while i'm cranking i get nothing on the small pole i've tested the security system and it shuts off and activates only when i disconnect the battery. but just in case i've both unplugged the security control box and left it plugged in while grounding the purple/yellow wire. next i guess i'll just have to follow the wire but was really hoping somebody might have an easier way
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Did you still need help?

Do you want me to walk you through this diagnoses?

DO you need a wiring diagram of the starting circuit?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

you're the first to respond yes on all three

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Ok.. no problem!

Does the check engine light come on with the key in the on position?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no but i checked it for trouble codes and the only two i got were

12 - error messages have been cleared in the last 50 to 100 starts

and

55 - end of message

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
IS this a 4.0 liter engine?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
5.2
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
. Check if there is power on the Red/White wire and power to the Yellow/Red wire in the crank position at the starter relay. If the Red/White wire is jumped to the Light Green/Black wire, does the starter motor engage? If not, check for an open in the Light Green/Black wire down to the starter solenoid. Ground the Black/White wire on the relay and check if the starter will engage with the key in the crank position. If it does, check for an open circuit to the park/neutral switch on the transmission. If it does not, apply power directly to the solenoid wire at the starter. Does the starter engage? If not, check power to the B+ cable and replace the starter.

Potential Causes:
Park/Neutral Switch Ground
Defective Relay
Relay Power
Defective Starter Motor

Here is a wiring diagram.

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i'll give that a shot can i leave this tab open until i check it tomorrow
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
You bet you can!

Even if you accept my answer now, we can still continue our conversation if you have any further questions!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry it took so long to respond you wouldn't happen to know which pin numbers these are at the sarter relay so i don't have to take the fuse box apart and was that diagram for a starting circuit or a charging circuit

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
This is what I have..

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
okay and which color corresponds to whcih terminal
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.

The starter relay is on this wiring diagram. You can match up the color codes to the terminals with diagram.

graphic
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
that should work thanks you
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Sounds good!

Thanks for the accept!

Have a great night!