brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,

Jeep Grand Cherokee: The power seat

The power seat in a Jeep Grand Cherokee 2001 does not go back, but the seat motor still works
Category: Jeep
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am here to try and assist your with your question. Does it try to move? Does one side or the other move a little?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the horizontal movement seems to be stuck. I can adjust the seat back and move it up or down but when I try to horizontally move it back it will only go back a little bit then it stops. I can still hear it trying, and I can move it forward a little bit but it will not go back past like half an inch
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
Check the tracks and make sure something did not get stuck in the track. Have seen many things get stuck in the track and cause the problem your having. Suck things like a penny for example will cause the problem
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried checking them but they're very hard to see and get to. From what I can see I don't see anything that's stuck.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
You either have one stuck or the motor or cable is binding. Try disconnecting the cables and see if you can manually move the seat. With it moving a little each direction your describing the seat tracks binding or getting stuck on something.......
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I disconnected the cables but how do I move it manually? It won't let me move it in any direction manually
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
If you can't push/pull it then again most likely has something jammed in the track or a problem with the track itself. Try where the cable hooks up to turn each side. If when turning a side it wont move the problem is on that side

Edited by brownjeff on 12/11/2010 at 5:55 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm not sure what you mean by "where the cable hooks up to turn each side" and as far as moving it manually, I've never been able to even when it was working fine. I could only move it with the power buttons. Manually, I can't even budge it the little bitthat it was buding earlier
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
You stated you disconnected the cables. Well where you disconnected it is where you need to turn it to see if it will move.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what do I turn?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
Sorry I must not be explaining it well? I do not have a picture to send. At the point the cable attaches is what you turn
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok, then maybe I disconnected the wrong cable. which cable do I need todisconnect? there are lots.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
Best way to find the correct ones is to activate the motor with your hand on the motor and when you feel that motor move then you know which one is for the forward and back and then which cables need to be disconnected
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, I found the motor and disconnected the cable that was attached to it. Now what do I need to turn? the motor is round and has what looks like two cables coming out of each side, one going to each railing
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
If you disconnected the cables at the motor then turn the cables one at a time and see if either side moves. The side that doesn't move is the rail that is jammed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Oh, I disconnected the power cable. is that not the one you wanted me to disconnect?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
The cables I'm referring to are the cables going from the motor to the rails not the electrical plug
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok sorry about that. I see those but I'm not sure how to disconnect them.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
Well they are not suppose to come apart as when faulty the entire seat frame is suppose to be replaced as you can't buy the individual parts. They should just pull off the rails or motor
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can't get them to disconnect. I tried pulling really hard and I'm afraid I'm gonna break them if I keep pulling
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
If the seat is in such a position you can remove the four bolts and remove the seat this would be best. Then you will be able to see everything and check the rails for anything that may be jammed in them
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,