Mark, 22 Year Factory trained technician
Experience:  Jeep factory training........25 years in the industry.

1996 jeep cherokee sport: blows cold air.

I have a 1996 jeep cherokee sport. I have no heat. it just blows cold air. The heater core hoses are both hot. the upper radiator hose is hot, but the lower radiator hose is cold. Is this just a thermostat problem, or a water pump problem?
Welcome to Just Answer Jeep my name is Mark.

If both heater hoses are HOT, then it means that the heat requred for the heater is getting inside the vehicle and your problem lies with the temperature door inside the vehicle.

Now, both heater hoses need to be equal temperature and HOT to the touch, not just luke warm. If they are luke warm then I would think this is a thermostat issue.........and it never hurts to replace it if it hasn't been done for awhile.

Now, they also show a water control valve for this year that will open and close to allow the hot coolant to enter the heater core. Can you locate this valve under the hood close to the firewall and see if the hoses after the valve are hot or not.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

where is this temperature door inside the vehicle. I changed the thermostat, flushed the heater core and hoses. Still the same problem. Cold air instead of heat. Upper radiator hose hot, lower radiator hose warm.

The temp door is operated by a cable coming from the control panel on the dash. The easiest way to locate the door is to follow the cable down to the door. This will be on the passenger side of the vehicle under the dash.

You will likely need to remove the bottom panel of the dash to good a good view of things.

Sorry, I'd include some pics if I could but they were pretty stingy with pics back in 96.