Mark
Mark, 22 Year Factory trained technician
Experience:  Jeep factory training........25 years in the industry.

2000 Jeep wrangler: a blown head gasket..radiator..L..Sahara

Customer Question

How can a blown head gasket cause a recurring radiator problem? What is the approximate cost to replace the head gasket in a 2000 Jeep wrangler 4.0 L Sahara 2.5?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  david replied 3 years ago.

david :

Hi thank you for your question hope this helps.

david :

Ok first off I have not seen a blown head gasket causing a radiator problem. How is the radiator failing?

david :

As for the cost to replace the head gasket This will depend on your shops hourly rate. But replacing the head gasket on your jeep is 6 hours job.

david :

The was radiator was the radiator also replaced?

Customer:

The Radiator failed after fisrt install at about the 2 year mark (actually sometkime before that since we had it looked at then) The car shop replaced it under warranty an d we had leaking problems identified by another shop up arounf the top seam of the radiator (very slow leak, under pressure test) It has now been about 4 months and I noticed leaking so I took it to the same shop for a pressure test, after I replaced the upper hose (suspected by a friend as the leaking spot) easy fix no problem. The shop showed me Saturday where the pressure test failed and also the fluid test for blown head gasket (blue fluid changing to a bit of a green color)

david :

OK I am not under standing what you need from me.

david :

The test the shop did is called a carbon test. Carbon is burnt gas if it is in the coolant it is a sign the head gasket or head or head failure.

Customer:

I am needing verification that a Head Gasket issue can contribute to a hig pressure situation with the radiator that a (or two) Radiators develop leaks from the Head Gasket leak. Can the Radiator problem continue if the Head gasket is not replaced? Can a leaking (or blown) Head Gasket cause overheating with the Radiator?

Customer:

What is a Head Gasket replacement cost? approximately for 2000 Jeep Wrangler? Could this Gasket problem been caused by the faulty replacement of a radiator?

Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer Jeep my name is Mark.

To answer your question, yes, when a head gasket leaks it sends combustion pressures into the cooling system and this raises the pressure in the cooling system over and above what it was designed to handle. This excess pressure will certainly cause radiator failures.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How does the Head Gasket leak emissions or pessures out to the air create pressure in the radiator? The leaks I have noticed technicians checking are outside of the engine. I am confused by your answer.

Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.
The head gasket leak does not leak "out to the air"..........instead it leaks into the cooling system and puts added pressure into the cooling system.

This added pressure is what causes the radiator to fail......because it is not designed to handle this added pressure that shouldn't be in the cooling system.