Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2007 jeep grand cherokee: start only..I press the accelerator..rebuilt

my 2007 jeep grand cherokee 3.7 L is hard to start only in the morning. Also, whenever I drive there is a slight delay when I press the accelerator for the car to respond. Its a rebuilt title but the engine was not hit.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

Hello!

You could have a fuel delivery issue going on causing your concern. I would rec to start by checking the fuel pressure. Fuel injected cars are very fuel pressure sensitive. Fuel pressure is very important and must be within specifications! But if the pressure is low, it does not mean the pump is bad. A plugged fuel filter, a pinched line, and low voltage at the pump can contribute to low fuel pressure. All three must be check before replacing the pump. You can get a fuel pressure gauge at a local auto parts store for cheap.

Also, just a few more things...the throttle body (dirty throttle plate or throttle bore) and the crankshaft or camshaft position going bad causing your intermittent hard start and stalling upon starting. THis is also very common!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Well Its a good idea to buy the fuel pressure gauge but if it says there is a low pressure what do I do ? Can I fix it myself with the gauge ? How will I know where the prob is ? Will I need to take it to a mechanic ?

As to the dirty throttle are you referring to the part where the air filter duc is connected where usually you spray CARB CLEANER to clean the dirt out ?

Thanks for your help and I await your reply.

MS

Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

Hello!

IF the fuel pressure is low, it is usually a bad fuel pump. Just be sure to check the fuel filter and power back at the fuel pump.

YES... the throttle body is where the air snorkel connector two. THis throttle plate and bore gets dirty and needs to be cleaned from time to time.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK for the fuel pump I have checked and it seems that the 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee does not need replacement. Is that true based on your experience and knowledge ?

And if the fuel pressure is not low what else could it be ?

Thanks for your patience with me.

MS

Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

IF the fuel pressure is low, chances are the fuel pump is at fault. If this is the case, it will need to be replaced.

IF your fuel pressure is low and the fuel pump is not the root cause, low voltage to the pump, plugged fuel filter and even a kinked fuel pressure line can all cause low fuel pressure.

Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector