Mark
Mark, 22 Year Factory trained technician
Experience:  Jeep factory training........25 years in the industry.

Jeep Wrangler Sahara My turn signal and flasher will not work

Customer Question

My turn signal and flasher will not work after replacing the turn signal switch assembly.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer Jeep my name is Mark.

The signal flasher plugs into the back of the switch on the column. I'm thinking that you may have forgotten to switch it over from the old switch.

graphic
1 - COMBINATION FLASHER
2 - LEFT MULTI-FUNCTION SWITCH
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This is what I did to replace the turn signal switch assembly, I disconnected the battery, replaced the switch, and reinstalled the harness, and re-hooked the battery. and everything works except for the hazard and turn signal This assembly has one connector on the back to the harness and the turn signal and the flasher is part of the turn signal assembly. The original turn signal switch assembly was defective, since it had a stuck ON light. The new switch assembly solved the stuck ON light issue, but now have no hazard light or turn signals.

This is a 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara. Not sure if the picture is based on a different vehicle.
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.
The pic is from the 02 Wrangler service manual.

So, if you did swap over the combination flasher.........the new switches don't normally come with a flasher installed.......then either you have a faulty switch or possibly you blew a fuse.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok.. but I did try to put the old switch back on to the previous configuration with the original parts and I got the hazard light to work but not the turn signal? I checked the turn signal fuses, but I am wondering if I damaged the relays or something.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Does the combinational flasher needs to be replace if the turn signal is not working but the hazard is?

Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I was starting to think you might have a problem with the flasher. The flasher controls the signals and hazards separately, so it is possible to have one work but not the other.

There is no way to test the flasher, so if you feel you have exhausted your possibilities, then I would suggest you try another flasher.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
One more question....

When I fixed this with the new flasher, everything works.. I am having fog light problems with the Multi-switch unit. I have replaced the flog light relay from the arn uto store. With 2 relays that I have replaced, the fog lights will turn on once after the relay is replaced, but it will not turn on after that. Any ideas?