Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

jeep Cherokee: My 2005..management light..limp mode..300 km it starts

Customer Question

My 2005 2.8 diesel jeep Cherokee management light keeps on coming onand then goes in to limp mode. have had i 3 times at the work shop and the keep on telling me it is the airflow sensor and that they have fixed it but 300 km it starts all over again
The codes the shop gives me are
P0234
P0108

Thanks
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX you pulled codes on this yet?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The dealer just tells me he has fixed it and that the computer said it was a turbo over boost What must i ask them for. not good with cars
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
you can pull the codes your self, if you sit in the driver seat and close the door, you must cycle the key on/off 3 times, ending in the on position, the codes will appear in the odometer window, where the mileage is, can you do this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I thank you for this i will do it tomorrow as the car is in the shop again i will come back with the codes
Thank you
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
anytime my friend,Tim
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have just got the codes from the dealer and they are.

PO234
P0108
PLEASE ADVISE AS TO WHAT TO TELL THE DEALER

PADDY
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.

There is a service bulletin regaurding these codes, it requires reflashing the computer with updated software, the dealer should be able to reflash this for you, print out the bulletin below and give it to your dealer, they will know what to do,Tim

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.

NUMBER: 18-018-05

GROUP: Vehicle Performance

DATE: May 06, 2005

THE DRBIII(R) FLASH FILES FOR THIS BULLETIN ARE AVAILABLE VIA THE INTERNET. THE DRBIII(R) FLASH FILES FOR THIS BULLETIN ARE AVAILABLE ON DealerCONNECT.

THE DRBIII(R) SOFTWARE UPDATE CD CONTAINS ALL PREVIOUSLY RELEASED FLASH FILES PRIOR TO THE CD RELEASE DATE PRINTED ON THE CD LABEL.

FOR MARKETS OUTSIDE OF THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA, THE FLASH FILES AND REPROGRAMMING INSTRUCTIONS WILL BE AVAILABLE ON ITIL/ISIS DVD JUNE, 2005.

SUBJECT:
Flash: Improved Engine Run-Up After Warm Restart And Other Improvements

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Engine Control Module (ECM) with new software.

MODELS:

2005 (KJ) Liberty/Cherokee (All Markets)

NOTE :This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 2.8L diesel engine (sales code ENR) built prior to MAY 15, 2005 (MDH 0515XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

The Engine Control Module (ECM) new software addresses the following possible conditions and/or improvements:

1.A Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Illumination due to:

^P0234 - Boost Pressure Sensor Negative Deviation

^P0335 - Crankshaft Position Sensor Circuit Incorrect Or Missing Signal

^P0339 - Crankshaft Position Sensor Circuit Intermittent Incorrect Or Missing Signal

^P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Signal Plausibility Or Missing Signal

^P0344 - Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Intermittent Signal Plausibility Or Missing Signal

2.Improved engine glow plug system robustness.

3.Improved engine run-up immediately following a warm engine restart.

4.Improved engine idle stability.

DIAGNOSIS:

Using a Scan Tool (DRBIII(R)) and the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures, verify all engine systems are functioning as designed. If DTC's are present record them on the repair order and repair as necessary before proceeding further with this service bulletin.

If the vehicle is in for service perform the Repair Procedure.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

PARTS REQUIRED:

Register Here

SPECIAL TOOLS/EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:

NOTE :An updated J1962 cable has been released. This cable has a red colored connector at the DRBIII(R) connection. Use this cable whenever a flash is being performed.

REPAIR PROCEDURE FOR DOMESTIC VEHICLES USING DRBIII(R):

NOTE :Whenever a controller is programmed, the software in the DRBIII(R); must be programmed with the latest revision level available.

NOTE :If this flash process is interrupted/aborted, the flash should be restarted and then follow the directions on the DRBIII(R).

1.Before beginning the reprogramming procedure, remove any old flash reprogramming files from the DRBIII(R) memory. To clear the memory from the MAIN MENU:

a.Simultaneously press the "MORE" and "YES" keys.

b.A screen will appear requesting a "COLD BOOT".

c.Follow the on screen instructions by selecting the "F4" key.

d.When the DRBIII(R) reboots to the MAIN MENU, proceed to Step # XXXXX

2.With the ignition switch in the "RUN" position, determine the original part number of the ECM currently in the vehicle. Using the DRBIII(R) select:

a."DRBIII(R) Standalone"

b."1998 - 2005 Diagnostics"

c."All (Except Below)"

d."Engine"

e."Module Display"

f.Record the "ECM part # " on the repair order for later reference.

3.Connect the DRBIII(R) to TechCONNECT. Open TechTOOLS and verify that the "DRBIII(R) Status: Connected" message is in the upper right corner of the TechTOOLS screen.

4.Enter the "ECM part # " recorded in Step # XXXXX in the "Parts Criteria" area and select "Show Updates". TechTOOLS will populate the available updates.

5.Select the calibration.

6.Select the "DRBIII" radio button which is next to the "Download/Update" button.

7.Select the "Download/Update" button.

8.Monitor the "Flash Download/Update Progress" window on the TechCONNECT and follow the instructions on TechCONNECT. When the flash process is complete, proceed to Step # XXXXX

9.Disconnect the DRBIII(R) from TechCONNECT.

10.Open the hood, install a battery charger and verify that charging rate provides approximately 13.5 volts.

11.Connect the DRBIII(R) to the vehicle.

12.Turn the ignition switch to the "Run" position (engine not running).

13.Reprogram the ECM by downloading the flash from the DRBIII(R) to the vehicle. Using the DRBIII(R) select:

a."Vehicle Flash"

b.Follow the directions on the DRBIII(R) screen. When the flash process is complete, proceed to the next step.

NOTE :Due to the ECM programming procedure, a DTC may be set in other modules (TCM, BCM, MIC, SKIM, etc.) within the vehicle, if so equipped. Some DTC's may cause the MIL to illuminate. Check all modules using "Module Scan", record the DTC's, and erase these DTC's prior to returning the vehicle to the customer. Erase any DTC's in the ECM only after all other modules have had their DTC's erased.

NOTE :The following step is required by law.

Register Here

14.Type the necessary information on the "Authorized Modification Label" p/n 04275086AB and attach near the VECI label (Fig. 1).

REPAIR PROCEDURE FOR EXPORT VEHICLES USING DRBIII(R):

a."DRBIII(R) Standalone"

b."1998 - 2005 Diagnostics"

c."All (Except Below)"

d."Engine"

e."Module Display"

g.Disconnect the DRBIII(R) from the vehicle.

h.Connect the DRBIII(R) to the ITIL/ISIS PC and NULL modem cable.

3.Log into DealerCONNECT. Proceed to: XXXXX XXXXX Repair - Flash.

4.Select vehicle Year, Model, and Engine (YME). Then select the "Submit" button at the bottom of the screen.

5.Compare the calibration part number available for flash reprogramming to the module part number recorded earlier. Select the new calibration if applicable.

6.Download the new calibration to the PC.

7.Using the "DRBIII - WINFLASH II" application on the PC, download the flash calibration file to the DRBIII(R) from the PC.

8.Disconnect the DRBIII(R) from the PC and NULL modem cable.

9.Open the hood, install a battery charger and verify that charging rate provides approximately 13.5 volts.

10.Connect the DRBIII(R) to the vehicle.

11.Turn the ignition switch to the "Run" position (engine not running).

12.Reprogram the ECM by downloading the flash from the DRBIII(R) to the vehicle. Using the DRBIII(R) select:

a."Vehicle Flash"

13.Type the necessary information on the "Authorized Modification Label p/n 04275086AB and attach near the VECI label (Fig. 1).

POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

Register Here

TIME ALLOWANCE:

Register Here