Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep and ASE Certified Master Tech
12365498

96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited: I changed rear hatch

Customer Question

96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. I changed rear hatch. Put in original lock. Key FOP worked before replacement. Doesn't work now. Doors look and alarm light illuminated. Did I violate security code and need the FOP recoded?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  ricardo hohl replied 4 years ago.
hi, have you try reseting the security by using the key at the pass/ side door?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Ricardo,

Yes, the key works fine. It locks and unlocks the door. Key FOP worked before I changed the lift gate. Doesn't work now. Only common thing was disconnecting the connections for the lock/alarm in the back. Rear lock works fine. Just will not work with key FOP.

Steve
hi, do you still need help?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I still need help. The wireless Key Fop does NOT lock the doors. The electric doors work from the master on drivers side and also work with the key.

We changed the battery in the Wireless Key FOP 3 months ago. It worked before I changed the lift gate but doesn't work now.

Question to you is when you disconnect the wires for the lift gate does that unprogram the key FOP? Asked one dealer service manager but he didn't know much about the alarm system.

Steve
hi, you can disconnect anything on the car when it comes to the security system and it will not or should not affect the key fob, but if the battery on the key fob goes dead it may loose the code and reference and may need to be reprogram have you try to reprogram the key fob?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The battery only the FOB is only 3 months old. According to the dealer, a reprogram is $90/hr shop rate. I don't want to spend that unless I'm fairly sure that's what's wrong. Again it worked fine before I changed the lift gate. Disconnected 3 wire bundle plugs and plugged into the new lift gate. Now key FOB doesn't work. Should I possibly try another battery?

I used to be a jet engine mechanic. Always check the simplest thing first right?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Richardo,

The key only locks the drivers door. I would think (if I remember) that it should lock all the doors.

I forgot to mention I also replaced 3 of the 4 door side panels which also has a wire bundle connection.
ok,if you go to a NAPA store they will check the key fob for you they will do that for free, they have a tool in the parts department were they can check the key fob signals before replacing the battery if you can have them do that then let me know if the key fob is ok then we can then check the truck
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK will go in the morning (Sat). Have to work tomorrow and have 39 mile commute. Will try to respond to this email chain tomorrow afternoon to tell you what they found. Thanks.
Steve
ok, Steve any time after 1 pm will be fine
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ricardo,

I called NAPA. The store didn't know what I was talking about. I called a NAPA service center. The mech called me back after research but no solution. He was to call back later and did not.

Can Advance or AutoZone do the same thing? I work until midnight and tomorrow is Sunday.

I'm still not fixed.

Steve

yes you can try them but the only one i know had it was NAPA auto parts store, or the dealer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Richardo,

Can't find a NAPA store that can do it. What next?

I called a body shop I use a lot and was told he thinks there is an extra wire. My Jeep is 96. New lift gate off a 97. I still have the old lift gate.

Can you tell me what the red wire clip (two wires) does that attaches to the back of triangular key lock shaft (back side)?

What say you?

Steve
yes at is the security sensor you need to connect the wire to the lock.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is connected. Seems (because the shaft is triangular) that it can be indexed three different ways. Does it matter how it is attached? The shaft rotates 360 degrees
no it does nut, but that lock may have a bad sensor have you try the old one?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I think I put the old one back on (which worked before). It is very delicate. The retainer off the new one was damaged when I removed it. Has like a wire clip on the back to secure it to the shaft. Now it can't be secured. I will try swapping them. But the damaged one would not stay on. I could hold it in place while testing the system. If it works, I could find another at a salvage yard.

Do you know of a source where I could read up on the security system? If I understood what did what then maybe I could get to the source.
yes that is the sensor and it has to stay in place while setting the alarm otherwise it will not detect valet settings, let me see if i can find some information for you to read and send it to you but this will have to be after 6pm because i am at work and have no sorcess here to look.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ricardo,

Have you found anything yet I can read up on the Jeep security system? I replaced the batteries on the Key Fop. No change. Still nothing.

Narrowed down to wires in lift gate or Fop needing reprogramed because I violated the integrity of the wiring system.

Other suggestions?

Steve

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ricardo,

Have not heard from you. We're still broke.

I have more information though. The Jeep was locked and my wife opened the lift gate after unlocking with the key (side doors still locked) and the alarm went off!!

What do you make of this?

Steve
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Richardo,

I have not heard from you and my Jeep security system is still not fixed and got charged for an answer. Not satisfied. Though you were going to get me a systems description.

Steve
sorry i will be in touch Saturday morning around 11 am.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Ricardo,

Saturday + 5 days. Still waiting for an answer about my key fop not working. 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.
Thanks
Steve
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
I haven't received an answer yet or a systems description