Josh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler Master Certified Technician with 13 years of experience

2002 jeep liberty 3.7l making noise from A/C compressor, when

2002 jeep liberty 3.7l making noise from A/C compressor, when engine running pulley starts and stops intermittently, slight burning smell. sometimes even had difficulty turning engine over. Is clutch coil or compressor bad, and can it be driven for a couple hundred miles prior to being repaired without damage to engine
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.

Hello, if the noise comes and goes with the a/c compressor engaging and disengaging it's likely the compressor itself, and you should be able to continue driving if you unplug the clutch. If the noise is constant it's likely the clutch bearings, in which case you'll need to get it fixed as soon as possible, it will eventually lock up and leave you stranded.

If you have any other questions please let me know. If you're happy with the information I've provided please click accept.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is it just a plug to disconnect clutch? It just started with the noise, it comes and goes, but I did have A/C on, it was like a bearing grinding noise, if I disconnect clutch or if i set fan/temp. setting to different position, would that help. I saw that advance auto parts has replacement compressors,is that an easy fix and does pulley come attached to compressor. I am about 200 miles from home right now, and just want to get back home before I can get vehicle fixed
Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.

Yes, on top of the compressor there should be a plug with a red lock, if you release the lock and disconnect the plug it'll disable the clutch stopping the a/c compressor from turning, you could go like that indefinitely if it takes care of the noise, you just won't have any a/c. The problem with just not turning on the a/c is that the defrost position engages the a/c by default so even if you have it off, if you need defrost the a/c comes on.

Now, yes it'll come with the compressor and clutch/pulley assembly already installed and it's pretty easy to change, just take the belt off, the compressor has 4 bolts and a plug along with the two a/c lines. The only problem I foresee is that you're not going to have equipment to recover and recharge the a/c.

So worst case if it's the clutch and not the compressor making the noise you could in an emergency discharge the a/c by disconnecting the line from the compressor, just stay clear as it can cause frost bite or suffocation if you're too close, not to mention a/c oil in the refrigerant smells pretty bad. Then replace the compressor without connecting the electrical connector to get home, then have it evacuated and recharged by a shop later.

Josh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Chrysler Master Certified Technician with 13 years of experience