Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, L1, Jeep owner, Shop owner

changing rear brakes on a 2003 Jeep Liberty. Cant remove rotors.

Customer Question

changing rear brakes on a 2003 Jeep Liberty. Can't remove rotors. The E brakes are free, appear to be rusted fast to axle, have sprayed with PB Blaster and beat the hell out of them with a 2 pound hammer. Am I missing something ?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Randall C replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Tracer :

Hello, does the rotor wiggle around at all, even if slightly?

Customer :

Tracer :

Very odd, originally there are clips on the studs holding the rotor on, I assume they are off. If so and it spins and no wiggle, then yes, it must be rust stuck. PB is the best but we usually spray around all the studs and in the middle. Let it sit then hit very hard on the rotor hub face ( area where studs poke through) sometimes we have to hit there over over and then it pops loose. This is all I can think of. If the rotor wiggled slightly, I would maybe say the e brake shoes are ridged and holding it and in this case , not much to do but be sure e brake is as loose as possible, and then force is need till the rotor does come off. Wish I had more

Customer :

sounds good, I thought there may be something else holding it on. Thanx

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I got angry and used a bit bigger hammer. After about 5 more strikes they broke loose. Got the brakes fixed and all is well, Thanx
Expert:  Randall C replied 6 years ago.
Glad to hear it. yes, they will do this. I probably should have recommended " anti seize compound" before you put the rotors back on preventing this from happening again.