RD
RD, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 YEARS OF JEEP REPAIRS

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport: Hood..front end..bypass..radiator problems

Customer Question

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport:

Frozan Hood Latch
What do I need to remove on the front end of the Jeep to bypass the hood latch?
I have radiator problems and have to get to the engine before I can move it.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Hello there!

I can try and find you some pictures.

WHat size engine do you have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Manual is in the glove compartment-- not handy since the Jeep isn't at home.

There is a 4.0 on the side of the Jeep if memory serves me right.

Does this answer your engine size question?

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Ok.. thanks for the information.

You should be able to get it from under neath witout removing any part of the front of the vehicle or grill. Try using a long screw driver. THat might just do the trick. I will try to find you some pictures.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks

I hope you can find some pics.

That sure would be easier than taking things a part.

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Ok... sure... I will do some research for you and try and get you some pictures. IT will be a bit later tonight, but I will see what I can do.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Ok... I am very sorry, but I do not have any pictures for you. I will leave this question open for other experts. Maybe another expert out there will be able to help you out.

Good luck!
Expert:  RD replied 3 years ago.

Hello

Welcome back to JA!

There is 2 ways to get the hood open

First way this is how The service station must have done it

1. remove headlight trim, headlamp bulbs, and the "basket" into which the bulb seats
2. behind the headlamp basket is a bolt head facing forward, approx. 1/2 inch size head. This is one of TWO bolts that holds the hood latch striker to the radiator core support structure of the body. Remove this bolt.
3. near the bolt just removed is an oval hole in the core support structure. Working through this hole, remove a bolt that faces UPWARD (head faces down) on the bottom of the upper flange of the core support. This bolt is the second bolt that attach's the striker to the core support, and is the same size as the first one removed
4. repeat these steps for the other side, and then the hood should pop free with the strikers still engaged in their latches.
5. replace the broken cable, lube up the bellcrank where the cable attach's under the hood, and reinstall the strikers (and their shimming washers!!) onto the core support.
6. test hood for closure/latching. Adjust strikers as necessary.
7. reinstall headlight components

Second way is quicker

Lay down and look up between the front of the motor and the radiator with a flashlight.

On the drivers side of the jeep. You will see the rod that connects the latches to the release, simply reach up and pull the rod towards the drivers side and the hood will unlatch. Keep the release mechanism attached to the hood lubricated and operating freely and you won't break anymore cables.

the rod you are looking for is # XXXXX in the picture this goes from left to right across the underside of the hood by the radiator there is 2 latches on the jeep hood to release

If you dont want to buy a cable to fix the broken one run a wire from the release to the grill opening.

Let me know if i can help more!

RD

1) Hood2) Stopper3) Insulator
4) Latch5) Catch lever6) Striker Latch
7) Safety catch8) Safety catch Bolt9) Release cable
10) Bellcrank11) Latch rods12) Support rod
13) Support rod Clip14) Hinge Right15) Hinge Left
16) Hinge Seal17) Hinge Shim18) Hinge Nut
19) Hinge Rivet20) Hinge Spring21) Clip Tube

Part Illustration

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the info.

I have to wait until tomorrow morning before I can get to the Jeep and try to apply it.

I'll get back with you and let you know how it went.

Expert:  RD replied 3 years ago.

Sounds good Have a good evening!

RD

RD, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 35 YEARS OF JEEP REPAIRS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wow ... mechanics we're not.

Jim and I spent 3+ hours in a parking lot with our Jeep trying to follow your directions. After one trip back home for a ratchet set, and a second trip to AutoZone for an extension piece for the ratchet, we managed to get to the second bolt.

We lost patience when the tool couldn't quite fit on the bolt because of the angle.

Supper, rest, and a fresh start tomorrow evening should be promising.

Please look at my pictures:

The first pic shows the first bolt that we removed. It also shows where we notched out a piece of the headlight cradle so that we can get the ratchet on the second bolt.

The second image is looking up into the area above the removed first bolt. The ratchet head is currently stuck on the bolt.

The third pic indicates where the second bolt is in relationship to the first.

Based on what you see are we on the right track?

When we get the first and second bolts off on both sides of the jeep the latch will be released correct? Please say yes. lol

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Forgot to send the pics. Oooops Embarassed

Here they are:

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Any comments before we leave to go work on Part 2?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Got the hood open tonight. Drove it slowly home.

Now we have overheating problems to look into next.

Thanks so much for the directions.

Sarah Huber

Expert:  RD replied 3 years ago.

Hello

Sarah,

Sorry i was away for a few days, It looks like you were on the right track.

Did it go as planned?

How about the over heating?

Did you need some help with that?

Thank you

RD