Welcome back to JA!
There is 2 ways to get the hood open
First way this is how The service station must have done it
1. remove headlight trim, headlamp bulbs, and the "basket" into which the bulb seats
2. behind the headlamp basket is a bolt head facing forward, approx. 1/2 inch size head. This is one of TWO bolts that holds the hood latch striker to the radiator core support structure of the body. Remove this bolt.
3. near the bolt just removed is an oval hole in the core support structure. Working through this hole, remove a bolt that faces UPWARD (head faces down) on the bottom of the upper flange of the core support. This bolt is the second bolt that attach's the striker to the core support, and is the same size as the first one removed
4. repeat these steps for the other side, and then the hood should pop free with the strikers still engaged in their latches.
5. replace the broken cable, lube up the bellcrank where the cable attach's under the hood, and reinstall the strikers (and their shimming washers!!) onto the core support.
6. test hood for closure/latching. Adjust strikers as necessary.
7. reinstall headlight components
Second way is quicker
Lay down and look up between the front of the motor and the radiator with a flashlight.
On the drivers side of the jeep. You will see the rod that connects the latches to the release, simply reach up and pull the rod towards the drivers side and the hood will unlatch. Keep the release mechanism attached to the hood lubricated and operating freely and you won't break anymore cables.
the rod you are looking for is # XXXXX in the picture this goes from left to right across the underside of the hood by the radiator there is 2 latches on the jeep hood to release
If you dont want to buy a cable to fix the broken one run a wire from the release to the grill opening.
Let me know if i can help more!
|1) Hood||2) Stopper||3) Insulator|
|4) Latch||5) Catch lever||6) Striker Latch|
|7) Safety catch||8) Safety catch Bolt||9) Release cable|
|10) Bellcrank||11) Latch rods||12) Support rod|
|13) Support rod Clip||14) Hinge Right||15) Hinge Left|
|16) Hinge Seal||17) Hinge Shim||18) Hinge Nut|
|19) Hinge Rivet||20) Hinge Spring||21) Clip Tube|