Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Jeep grand cherokee limited: antifreeze i..leaking..smell..electrical

ok well i got a jeep grand cherokee limited an well its sucking up antifreeze i had to add it twice this month no sighns of leaking just a normal water run from useing the ac. i did notice a funny smell when i turnd on the heat in the car it was funny an didnt smell like a electrical problem i ignored. my jeeps yr is a 2000 an it has 137,800 miles on it. i havent check to see if the oil is milky yet. but i havnt had to add any oil for 2-3mths. but this month i had to add antifreeze twice an the month isnt over yet wats wrong with my car?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.

If you noticed a funny smell when turning on the heat then your heater core is likely has a slow leak.........It is a 6 hour job shop rate and the heater core is around $200 depending on where you buy it. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok so wat about the antifreeze i havnt used the heat for a month why is my antifreeze disappearing
?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
The heater core allows coolant to go through it at all times so heat is available when needed..........So even if you didnt use the heater it would still be leaking out of the heater core. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok if it be leaking wouldnt there be a pudle under my car ?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Not if its leaking that slow......Once the leak gets worse there will be a puddle........If your not trying to spend $600+ on a heatercore right now some radiator stop leak will probably hold you off for awhile since its such a small leak. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
could it be anything else besides the heater core?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.

You could have a small external leak but you would likely see a little coolant dripping off the engine if that was the case........It could also be intake or headgasket problems but vehicle would be overheating and you woudlnt smell anything inside with heat on..........I'd feel comfortable spending the $ on a heatercore if it were me. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok could one of the cycliners be miss fireing ? an when i stop at a red light my car will idle then go below the idle an almost choke its self out wat could that be?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
If vehicle doesnt accelerate and seems to miss while drivign also then I'd start by replacing the plugs and wires......If it runs good and just idles a little low then clean the throttle body and idle air control valve. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
how much would thouse repares be?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Cleaning the throttle body and idle air conrol valve shouldnt cost over $30........Or you could buy throttle body cleaner for $6 and do it yourself in about 15 minutes. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok im worried it is gona be the head gasket because ive been running my car from pa to ny an back lately. so how much is a head gasket repair an is it hard or easy to do yourself?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
I wouldnt worry about the headgasket or it would overheat.....But that would be worst case and if that was it.......Its about a 5 hour job and $200 or so in parts.........Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Dan, Technician
Experience: Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database