Richard, Jeep Technician
Experience:  Over 22 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.
18534624

my 1996 jeep grand cherokee with a 5.2 v8 in it has 200 thousand

my 1996 jeep grand cherokee with a 5.2 v8 in it has 200 thousand miles an blows blue smoke when i first start it or when i rev it what could cause this valve seals maybe
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

I noticed you asked this question before and never accepted your answer. Were you not satisfied with the answer and wanted a second opinion?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes it was not what i was looking for an do want a second opinion i will pay just want to know what it is
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Does it burn a bunch of oil on long trips highway driving or does it just burn oil with city driving and idling?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it uses about a quart a month an thats highway
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Blue smoke on start up is usually related to valve stem seals or worn guides. When you shut the engine off the oil from the top end will leak down into the combustion chamber and cause blue smoke on the next start up. Usually when the problem is valve stem seals it will burn more oil during city driving when there is more intake vacuum. If the seals are leaking bad enough it will blow blue smoke during low speed driving and will not be noticed on the highway.

Does you truck ping(spark knock) when under load?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
not sure about ping or nock havent heard anything bad runs smooth but when it idles it does smoke a little not alot an when u rev it it smokes an on start up
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Anytime you get a puff of blue during start up, it is almost always related to valve stem seals or worn guides. The first thing I would do is pull out all the spark plugs and see if you can narrow down which cylinder is burning oil. If you have a spark plug with lots of ash deposits on it, that is a good sign that cylinder is burning oil.

Check this out and we can go from there!

Thank you,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i replaced all plugs cause all the others were durty an a few were ashy like
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
Do you remember which ones had excessive ash deposits on them?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yup have them on a sheet of cardboard in order an do you think it could be rings i kinda dont i have a 1995 orvis with 345 thousand on it an it doesnt do this but a rubber seal can go at anytime i guess huh
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Rings won't cause a puff of blue during start up. The oil is leaking into the engine when the engine is off and the only way it can leak into the combustion chamber is past the valves.

Did you check the lower intake pan gasket for leaks? I can help you do this, it is a simple test!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok im gonna replace the seals no matter what how do you test the intake
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

First remove the PCV valve from the right valve cover and leave it attached to the hose. Then remove the crankcase breather hose from the air cleaner and plug the hose.

Then start the engine and hold your thumb over the opening in the valve cover where the PCV valve was and after 10 seconds see if there is pressure building up or suction. It should build up pressure and when you remove your thumb you should notice blow by coming out. If the gasket was leaking you will feel suction.

Try this and let me know!

Thank you,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok i will try it 2moro i just might replace it anyway that way its all new uptop thank you so much
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

You are very welcome!!

Good luck!

Thank you very much,

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
If you are satisfied with my efforts please click accept. That is the only way I get credit for my time. If you aren't satisfied, please let me know!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it worked just have one more question for you
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
Fire away!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how do i reprogram a factoey remote for it
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
I will be right with you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

The only way to program another keyless entry transmitter is by using a high end scan tool like the factory DRB3. You have to select body from the main menu, then door module and then misc. The scan tool guides you though the procedure.

If you don't have access to a high end scan tool, you will have to get this done at the dealer. This only takes 10 minutes to do, so if you want to do this, give a dealer a call and see what they will charge and let them know it only takes 10 minutes.

I hope this helps, let me know!

Thank you,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
there isnt a other way like i was a ford tech an if yyou turned the key off an on 7 times you could program by pressing the lock button an it would be programed its from the truck i put new batteries in it and it stoped working
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Not that I am aware of! I know you can do this on newer vehicles but all it says for yours is to use the scan tool.

Do you have the owners manual?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
nope when i got it a few weeks ago it wasnt there an also after i got done with it i changed the oil of course an the person before had it changed an it was 2 an half quarts over i think this was the smoking problem what do you think
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

If the system was that much over full, it could have been causing it to burn oil. 1 quart over full isn't bad, but 2 quarts over is a bit much!

I just went through the service manual and it doesn't show any other way of programming the transmitter. I know with all newer Chrysler transmitters you need one transmitter in order to program another one. it has been quite a while since I have programmed one of these and I always did it with the scan tool.

I hope this helps, let me know!

Thank you,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

You are very welcome!

Thank you!!

Richard, Jeep Technician
Experience: Over 22 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.