brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee: door locks..horn signal..keyless entry

How can I reprogram the 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee automatic door locks, horn signal, and door unlock sequence for the remote keyless entry system?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
If an existing transmitter.........To synchronize the code of the particular transmitter with the receiver, press and hold both lock and unlock buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds . Release the buttons and wait until the doors unlock indicating that the code has been synchronized. This may require waiting for as long as 6 minutes .

If a new transmitter a scan tool will be needed
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, I don't want to synchronize the transmitter, I want to reprogram the functions. Ie. Cancel the Automatic Door Locks, Cancel the Horn Signal, and change the door unlock sequence.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
The only thing you can do with out a scan tool is what I sent. For the items you want to change (reprogram) a scan tool is needed.......see below:

• A rolling door locks feature will automatically lock all of the doors and the liftgate, after the vehicle reaches a speed of about 15 miles-per-hour or greater. This feature will also re-lock the doors if a door is opened and reclosed at any speed above 15 miles-per-hour. Rolling door locks is a programmable feature of the power lock system. This feature can be enabled or disabled using the DRB scan tool.
  • An RKE system panic mode. If the Panic button on the RKE transmitter is depressed, the vehicle's horn will sound and lights will flash for about three minutes, or until any of the three transmitter buttons is depressed. A vehicle speed of about 15 miles-per-hour will also cancel the panic mode.
  • A programmable feature of the RKE system is the enabling or disabling of the horn chirp following the remote keyless entry Lock function. This feature can be enabled or disabled using the DRB scan tool.
  • Another programmable feature of the RKE system is the enabling or disabling of each RKE transmitter so that the driver's door only, or all doors unlock upon one depression of the transmitter Unlock button. This feature can be enabled or disabled for both RKE transmitters, or only one transmitter using the DRB scan tool.
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,