b5demon
b5demon, Technician
Experience:  ASE and Chryler/Jeep master technician for 17 years
13235514

2003 jeep liberty sport: the cam/crank sensor that..oil pan..runs ok

i have a 2003 jeep liberty sport that died on my wife the other day. i replaced the cam/crank sensor that is up and behind the oil pan. i clear out the codes and it runs ok for a short time and then does it again. it has 99000 miles on it. what else can i try?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  b5demon replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
b5demon :

did you only replace that one sensor?

Customer:

yeah and cleared out the code and it was fine for a short drive and the check engine light came back on.

b5demon :

ok same code?

Customer:

the last code it gave me was p0320

Customer:

the # XXXXX the cam/crank sensor was p0340. it gave me that one again also, but when i cleared them, it didnt give me that one the last time

b5demon :

ok have you tried replacing the cam shaft position sensor that is on the passengers side cylinder head?

Customer:

the only one i replaced was underneath above the oilpan. i saw one that was under the air filter box that was in the block. believe me when i tell you, i am no mechanic so i need simple terms.

Customer:

the one i replaced was kinda L shaped and had a piece on it that a bolt went thru to screw in.

b5demon :

back near the transmission?

Customer:

yeah in front of it

b5demon :

okn yeah the was the crank shaft position sensor

b5demon :

the cam shaft position sensor is on the passengers side cylinder right in front of the exhaust manifold

Customer:

is that the one that when you pull the box for the air filter, you can see it right there kinda at a 45 degree angle

b5demon :

yes

Customer:

a whole lot easier to get to than the other one. is there any thing else i can check if the problem persists after i replace this one?

b5demon :

then you need to check the wiring to both of those sensors

Customer:

ok. can those wires get a breah in them. i thought they had that plastic covering over them

b5demon :

yes the can get a break in them even with the cover on them

b5demon :

most likely it is just that sensor though

Customer:

ok. thanks a lot for your help. does it just wiggle out or do i need a wrench? if so what size?

Customer:

are those the only 2 sensors that it can be?

b5demon :

it is the same set up as the other sensor i think it is a 13mm but it has been awile since i changed one and yes those two sensors are what causes those codes

Customer:

ok. i really appreciate your time and patience.

b5demon :

no problem always glad to help

b5demon, Technician
Experience: ASE and Chryler/Jeep master technician for 17 years