TIM
TIM, SERVICE MANAGER
Experience:  CHRYSLER SERVICE MANAGER 20 +YEARS
6531745

i just bought a 2008 jeep patriot and the air bag light is

i just bought a 2008 jeep patriot and the air bag light is on they said it dosen't pick up on the scan machine at the local garage. We don't have a jeep or chrysler dealership local. the local mechenic said to order a module form the dealership and he would put it in. the airbag module is almost $300 should i let him put it in? how do i know its the module if it didn't pick up on the scan? This SUV has 90,000 miles what kind of service does it need? Can my local mechanic do the service? I have two small children in carseats and i don't want to be broke down on the road if i don't take it to a dealership but i don't have a lot of extra money either. thanks for any response.
Chat Conversation Started
TIM :

stop-- do not take this to the local guy-- this needs to be done by a trained jeep tech and their equipment--this is too important to have done by someone who does not know,tim

JACUSTOMER-vp78ornv- :

what other kind of service does this jeep need? give me a ball park on how much this is going to cost me. Do you think it is a module and is any of this covered or on recall?

TIM :

it needs to be installed on computer for proper diagnostics -- cost approx 1 hour-- no recall on airbag system

JACUSTOMER-vp78ornv- :

does it require a 100,000 mile service to replace anythning like timing belt? i know my 1998 4runner did.

TIM :

NO -- this is an american vehicle and it does not need all of the import stuff -- this vehicle is pretty rock solid -- just have the airbag repaired -- and then just normal mait such as oil changes , transmission fluid and front and rear axle oil changes,tim

JACUSTOMER-vp78ornv- :

i'm sorry to keep on. one last question and i will let you alone. the radio knob will not cut the volume up unless i fidget with it. i keeps going back to 0 volume so i have to keep turning it for a few minutes to get it to give me a volume. any suggestions? thanks again you have been very helpful.

TIM :

this concern is internal to the radio itself