Roland, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Certified for Jeep. ASE certified, Working in Dealership since 1992

Why is my Jeep Cherokee smoking around the right rear wheel

Customer Question

Why is my Jeep Cherokee smoking around the right rear wheel well?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Roland replied 6 years ago.
Hello, my name is Roland

can you look under the vehicle and see if the inside of the backing plate is wet or damp?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The inside of the backing plate does not appear to be damp.
Expert:  Roland replied 6 years ago.
do you have a jack to jack up the right rear and see if the wheel is binding?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Roland, I'm a 71 year old woman who just lost her husband and I'm afraid to use the jack. I think I better call someone.
Expert:  Roland replied 6 years ago.
If there is no oil residue on the backing plate. The brakes or emergency brakes are hanging up and causing the smoke. The smoke did it smell like oil or burnt fiber?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Please explain exactly what the backing plate looks like. I really don't know if the burning smelled like oil or fiber.
Expert:  Roland replied 6 years ago.
The backing plate is just behind the rotor between the inner on the tire and center of the rim. You will see a tube that goes into the backing plate at the bottom of the tube you would see oil and/or dirt build up. If you see this combination the axel seals are leaking and would need to be replaced.

The most common issue with the rear e brake shoes brake and cause the material to break of the metal support and jam in the drum part of the rotor. If this happened then you will need to have the e-brakes shoes and hardware replaced.

Please let me know if you need more assistance
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is this dangerous and does it need to be fixed immediately?
Expert:  Roland replied 6 years ago.
If it is the brakes it could be very dangerous. The brakes could be locked when driving causing you to loss control of the vehicle.

If it is the axel seal you can wait a little bit to replace the seal, you would just need to make sure that the different is fuel of fluid.