brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

how do I replace a Jeep Commander driver side headlamp ass

how do I replace a Jeep Commander driver side headlamp assembly. Actually, its the foglamp/blinker housing (which is attached to headlamp) that leaks water into it when it rains.
I want to take whole thing out and seal it with silicone.
Yes the fascia needs to come off. Here is a picture of the location of the fasteners that hold it on.

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so then I can take drivers side headlamp assembly out ?? is there something else I need to do this ?
The front fascia is the hard part.......here is the information on the light removal

graphic
  1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. Remove the cover from over the top of the front lamp unit.
  3. Remove the grille from the front of the vehicle.
  4. Remove the fascia from the front of the vehicle.
  5. If the front lamp being serviced is on the same side of the vehicle as the engine fresh air intake tube, unsnap the air intake tube from the air cleaner housing and remove it from between the lamp and the radiator yoke hydroform.
  6. Remove the three screws (2) that secure the two lower and the upper inboard lamp (4) mounting brackets to the front end sheet metal.
  7. Remove the push pin fastener (3) that secures the upper outboard lamp mounting bracket to the top of the radiator yoke hydroform (5).
graphic

1. Pull the lamp (2) away from the radiator yoke hydroform (1) at the front of the vehicle far enough to access and disconnect the headlamp and dash wire harness connector (3) from the pigtail connector (4) on the back of the lamp housing.
  2. Remove the lamp unit from the vehicle.