Hello, its located on left side of engine, mid way down towards the rear of engine. Info follows. Book time is 3.6 houirs to replace it. rather big job. Alos put some info below as there were problems with the EGR design. Upgraded EGRALVE REMOVAL
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove engine cover.
- Drain cooling system.
- Disconnect the electrical connector at EGR valve.
|EGR Valve Housing And Cooler |
- Disconnect coolant hoses at EGR valve and cooler
- Disconnect tube at the EGR valve housing.
- Remove EGR valve housing to engine block fasteners.
- Remove EGR valve and cooler assembly from vehicle.
- Remove EGR valve to cooler retaining bolts and separate EGR valve from cooler.
- Clean all gasket mating surfaces.
|EGR Valve Housing And Cooler |
- Assemble EGR valve and cooler to housing with new gasket. Torque bolts to 10.8 N-m (95 in.lbs.) .
- Install EGR valve/cooler assembly. Tighten fasteners to 24.5 N-m (216 in. lbs.) .
- Install EGR pipe with new gasket to EGR assembly. Torque bolts to 32.4 N-m (24 ft.lbs) .
- Tighten EGR pipe clamps to 7 N-m (62 in. lbs.) .
- Connect the EGR cooler hoses.
- Refill cooling system.
- Install engine cover.
- Connect negative battery cable.
NUMBER: 25-001-05 REV. A
GROUP: Emissions Control
DATE: October 22, 2005
THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 25-001-05, DATED SEPTEMBER 01, 2005, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. ALL REVISIONS ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS** AND INCLUDES A CHANGE TO XXXXX TIME ALLOWANCE AND FAILURE CODE.
Due To DTC P0401 - EGR Solenoid Circuit Negative Deviation Or System Performance OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves the replacement of the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve and, if not already performed, the reprogramming of the Engine Control Module (ECM).
|2005 ||(KJ) ||Liberty / Cherokee |
:This bulletin applies to KJ vehicles equipped with a 2.8L turbo diesel engine (sales code ENR).
The customer may experience an illumination of the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL).
Diagnosis may reveal that the MIL is caused primarily by Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0401 - EGR Solenoid Circuit Negative Deviation / EGR System Performance..
Three other less frequent DTC's may be present along with DTC P0401, those DTC's are:
P0101 - MAF Sensor Signal Negative/Positive Deviation,
P0299 - Boost Pressure Sensor Positive Deviation,
P0402 - EGR Solenoid Circuit Positive Deviation.
|1. ||Use TechCONNECT to obtain the 2006 KJ 2.8L Service Information for engine diagnostic procedures. For the 2005 KJ, perform the 2006 KJ 2.8L diagnostic test for DTC P0401 (Service Information tab / 9 - Engine / Diagnosis & Testing / P0401 - EGR Solenoid Circuit Negative Deviation). |
|2. ||If the EGR valve is determined to be at fault perform the Repair Procedure. |
SPECIAL TOOLS / EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:
REPAIR PROCEDURE: NOTE
:If not already performed, Service Bulletin 18-018-05 must be performed after the EGR valve has been replaced.
|1. ||Replace the EGR valve. Refer to TechCONNECT and to the 2006 KJ 2.8L Service for detailed service procedures (Service Info tab / 25 - Emissions Control / Exhaust Gas Recirculation / Valve / Removal or Installation / EGR Valve). |
|2. ||Check the vehicle repair history to determine if Service Bulletin 18-018-05 has been performed. If not, perform Service Bulletin 18-018-05. Refer to Service Bulletin 18-018-05 for repair procedures and time allowance, if required. |
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
FAILURE CODE: Disclaimer
:This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization for repair.