George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ years

1996 Jeep Cherokee: brake lights..light bulbs..fuses and brake switch

What causes brake lights on a 1996 Jeep Cherokee to not operate. The light bulbs, fuses and brake switch has been replaced. What now? thanks.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Take a 12 volt test light and check for voltatge at the connector to the lamp housing on the white/tan wire at the lamp connector. Does the center lamp work?

Let me know if you have power at the white/tan wire with the brake pedal depressed and if the center lamp works.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I checked the continuity of the connector(white/tan) wire and no power. Same result when the brake pedal pedal is depressed. The middle brake light is also dead and the bulbs are fine. The headlight/tail lights work fine.

OK then you are going to have to check for power at the brake switch, The pink/black wire should be hot at all times and the white/tan should show power when you depress the pedal.

How is your 4th?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, the pink/white wire is hot all the time and the white/tan has power when brake is depressed.

OK then there must be an open between the switch and the back so you are going to have to do some hunting.

Check connector C203 as it is after the split to the ABS controller and before the split to the right brake light and the center light. C203 is in the left kick panel and is shown in the diagram below. Look for corrosion and check for power to the white/tan wire ther with the pedal depressed.

click here

and here

let me know what you find

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX keep working on the Jeep until I I can identify the problem source. If not I will call on your services again. Thanks again and my 4th is not too enjoyable with all this car problem.

OK I will be here so let me know what I can do to help,

The split to the center brake light is just beyond the connector C203 so I think you will find the problem near there. just follow the white/tan wire til you lose power and you will find it

Let me know what I can do to help