sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

1996 Jeep Grand Cheroke Ltd 5.2L V8 (318)--need wiring diagram

1996 Jeep Grand Cheroke Ltd 5.2L V8 (318)--need wiring diagram for grounds: (2) come out behind alternator for wiring on even side of intake; (1) comes out behind A/C compressor on odd side of intake; "fuse link" green 10g wire from starter wiring harness along with red heavier guage wire that comes off the positive battery terminal. My 18-year-old son tore down the vehicle after he blew the engine last summer then moved out. I have a junk yard motor I've been prepping (new plugs, wires, distributor cap & rotor, valve cover & oil pan gaskets), not to mention new motor mounts & tranny preventive maintenance while out (yes he pulled that too). The motor does NOT have an EGR valve (although the junk yard sold me the motor as "w/o EGR valve hole", which caused me additional headaches, until & swapped out manifolds & replaced intake & exhaust manifold gaskets as well. Being of the female persuation, I'm very proud of the progress I've made thus far on my own (with help from the Haynes manual). Help! so I can get my Jeep back on the road!
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The ground on the right side of the engine near the alternator goes to a bolt just above the alternator area. There is a brace that runs from the intake to the accessory bracket on the front of the engine, this ground cable goes under the bolt at the accessory bracket end of the brace.

The ground point on the left side of the engine is at a bolt on the power steering pump bracket. One of the top bolts of the pump bracket has a short stud on it where the ground cable will go, and then a nut installed on the end of the stud.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

What about the starting harness wires to the fuse/relay box between battery & coolant reservior. Where does the additional red line off the positive cable attachment go & where does the green wire labeled "fuse link 10 gauge" attach. There is a compartment on the left side of the relay box that comes undone, but there is only one bolt coming up & it has an external star attached to the nut that goes on the bolt.

And there are 2 lines on the right side, not just one. l take it that they both attach to the bracket at the end of the brace.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

When I went to the Jeep, there is not a stud or nut on the power steering pump bracket. I see what you are describing (page 10-19 Figure 17.3b of the Haynes manual). However, the pump I have looks more like the pump to the 4.7L V8 in Figure 17.3c on that same page. The bracket the pump mounts to is an aluminum "<" bracket that is mounted to the left cylinder head & there are only 3 bolt holes. Can I install the ground under one of the bolts between the pump & the bracket, or will that cause a problem. Other options is the threaded hole in the front left engine block below the valve cover, or can it be grounded to the stud on the valve cover between the 1 & 3 fuel injectors?

You can bolt the grounds down under any bolt head, the locations I sent were just the correct ones. Bolt them down anyhwere you can find and everything will be fine.

You should have one positive cable that goes down to the starter, and the other one will go to the back of the alternator. Either of these will have a piece of fusible link wire in them. Maybe the other one you are seeing is the one for the alternator?