Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

1996 jeep grand cherokee: instrument cluster..ignition switch

Customer Question

i am working on a 1996 jeep grand cherokee. it has no power to the instrument cluster we have replaced the cluster checked fuses, replaced the headlight switch and the ignition switch. the plug behind the cluster is tight
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.

Does the Jeep start and run?

Have we checked the inputs to the back of the cluster?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the jeep runs fine no guages work turn signals and flashers work but no power windows or ac controlls either the inputs test fine the headlight switch has been changed and i have tried another cluster and another bcm and still nothing the when i hook my power probe to the black wire ground on the cluster plug i get a flashing ground it pulses the same as the flasher for the hazard lights when they are on
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Sorry for the delay!

I believe there is actually a TSB about this problem. This is very common on these vehicles. Any module on the BUS system can short out causing this type of problem. Here is a list of potential causes.

Air Bag Control Module
Instrument Cluster
Instrument Cluster Wiring
Overhead Console
Powertrain Control Module
Remote Keyless Entry Module
Sentry Key Immobilizer Module
Transmission Control Module

To diagnose this problem check the voltage on the Diagnostic Link Connector at pins 3 and 11. There should be approximately 2.5 volts on each wire with the key in the on position. This voltage originates in the instrument cluster and then goes to all the computers on the vehicle.

Test for 2.5 volts coming out of the instrument cluster on pins 1, 2 on the C2 connector. It will be necessary to clip these wires somewhere near the cluster where they can be repaired again to isolate the cluster from the rest of the circuit. If there is no voltage coming out of the cluster, then it is a cluster problem.
If the voltage is present, then hook up the circuit and start unplugging the modules one at a time to isolate which module affects the bus voltage.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can you give me a diagram of the pins for these connectors please?
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Sure... here is the diagram or connector view for the instrument cluster. Lets start by checking the inputs on this connector.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i have grounds on pins 1 and 2. I have power on 3 and 5. but i dont have 2.5 on 1 and 2 though do i need to clip these wires on pins 1 and 2 to isolate the cluster?
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
I will leave this question open.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
do you have any more ideas on what this may be
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i fixed it there was a short in the drivers door