eauto
eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase mechanic 16 Plus years in the field

2006 jeep liberty: odometer..cap..a leak in the vapor recovery

I have a 2006 jeep liberty. The odometer keeps flashing a code saying gascap.
I have changed the cap with a new one but did not help. Iam thinjing that there might
be a leak in the vapor recovery. If so where do I start. Any ideas ?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  eauto replied 4 years ago.

here is the service bulletin

NUMBER: 14-001-06

GROUP: 14 - Fuel System

DATE: January 21, 2006

SUBJECT:
Loose Fuel Cap Message or MIL Illumination for Diagnostic Trouble Code P0457 - EVAP System - Loose Fuel Cap

MODELS:

2005 - 2006 (ND) Dakota 2005 - 2006 (CS) Pacifica 2006 (DR/DH) Ram Truck 2005 - 2006 (HB) Durango 2005 - 2006 (KJ) Liberty 2006 (LX) 300/Magnum/Charger 2006 (PT) PT Cruiser 2007 (PM) Caliber 2006 (RS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager 2006 (TJ) Wrangler 2005 - 2006 (WK) Grand Cherokee 2006 (XK) Commander

NOTE :This bulletin applies to all vehicles equipped with a gasoline engine.

NOTE :Do not replace the gas cap if only DTC P0457 - Evap System - Loose Fuel Cap is present.

DISCUSSION:

Starting with the introduction of 2005 model year vehicles a new diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0457 - Evap System - Loose Fuel Cap was introduced. Also added to some vehicles was an instrument cluster message in the odometer display or message center (EVIC) that alerts the driver that the gas cap is loose.

The PCM monitors the fuel level for a "significant" change in either direction and remembers that this has recently occurred. A loose fuel cap DTC, cluster message or message center message matures when the check for the EVAP system large leak condition fails after the fuel level change event. If a leak of greater than 0.090" is observed after a fuel level change, a loose cap diagnostic single trip failure is stored and the cluster message or message center message is displayed even though a DTC may not yet be present. DTC P0457 - Evap System - Loose Fuel Cap is stored and the MIL illuminated after 2 cold start failures of the large leak diagnostic checks following a fuel change event. Only the passing of one of the 3 EVAP system diagnostic routines large leak, small leak or loose gas cap) by the PCM will validate that the cap is no longer loose and turn off the MIL light or message.

For 2007 model vehicles DTC P0457 - Evap System - Loose Fuel Cap will be stored and the MIL illuminated after 3 cold starts.

To temporarily clear the gas cap loose message from the odometer or message center press the reset button on the odometer or message center while the message is being displayed. This clears the message for the current key cycle only.

NOTE :The above works for all vehicles except, 2005 - 2006 Grand Cherokee or Commander. For these, the scantool must be used)

To clear the gas cap loose message from the odometer or message center ensure the gas cap is tight and let the vehicle run the small leak diagnostic routine. The small leak diagnostic routine will pass a sealed system after an 8 hour soak and a negative 3°C change in fuel temperature from the last key cycle.

NOTE :A heated garage may effect the small leak diagnostic routine.

To clear the gas cap loose message from the odometer or message center and matured DTC (MIL light) diagnose and repair the leak and then erase DTC's with the DRBIII(R)/StarSCAN(TM) scantool

NOTE :The DRBIII(R)/StarSCAN(TM) scantool may be used to reset the Loose Cap message. Select the PCM Reset function on StarSCAN(TM) (version 6.05_SPI or higher) or the Clear PCM Batt Disconnect function on DRB III(R). Disconnecting and reconnecting the battery will also clear the message.

If a gas cap loose message is displayed or DTC P0457 - Evap System - Loose Fuel Cap is set without P0455 - Evap System Large Leak then ensure the gas cap it tight, no further service action is required.

POLICY:
Information Only.

Disclaimer :This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization for repair.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have a snap on scan tool and when I plug it in it says that there is no codes pending or present. The odometer still keeps flashing gas cap. what do I do next?

Expert:  eauto replied 4 years ago.
did you try resetting the light?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I tried clearing codes but this did not help as there was no cades showing. there is no light showing other then a chime then on the odometer is flahes very quickly gascap. how do I clear that?
Expert:  eauto replied 4 years ago.
it will need to be reset with a chrysler drb, or the battery disconnected
eauto, The Car Guy
Experience: ase mechanic 16 Plus years in the field