Paul M ASE Master
Paul M ASE Master, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 20+ Years

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 6 cyl wont start; engine does not

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 6 cyl won't start; engine does not crank. Dashboard does not illuminate, but you can hear the cabin fan clicking. Power windows/locks not getting power.

Lately, the vehicle would only turn over when starting if you gave it gas. After starting, the car would stall without gas pedal applied. Once in drive, the car would idle fine at stop signs/lights.

Today I went for a short drive...the initial start up was as mentioned before. Enroute to my destination, the dashboards lights mostly all inlluminated (ABS, Check Eng, etc) and the odometer was flickering; there was a clicking noise from under the passenger side dashboard. I shut down the car in the parking lot after the 5 minute trip and when I came back, the car wouldn't even crank.

In the months prior I had battled a random misfire code that only came on when accelerating onto the freeway. I replaced the coil pack,completed the Chrysler recall procedure for carbon buildup on the exhaust valves...nothing

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer

sounds like your alternator may have gone out

this will cause all the lights to come on because voltage is low and will also explain a no crank

have you put a meter across the battery? you should have around 12.5 volts

also have you tried jumping it with another vehicle?

let me know

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I was able to jump start it and get it back to my house. I removed the alternator and took it to the parts store for testing. they ran the test 3 times and the alternator passed every time...

if jump starting it worked

you either have an alternator that is failing intermittently or a high draw on the starter

I would suggest you have the battery load tested when it won't start

sometimes alternators will test ok but when installed and get warm they can fail

I would put a meter across the battery and run the truck with the high beams and blower on high and see if the alternator maintains over 13.3 volts

the alternator is best tested on the vehicle

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hooked everything up and ran the car like you said....when I started, the alternator was charging @ 13.30 volts....after 15 minutes it's down to 12.75. Does this confirm that it's a failing alternator?

yes the alternator should not drop bellow 13 with all loads on

the alternator is not keeping up with the load.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what about the problem idling problem in the morning when I first start up the problem linked to this somehow?

I would start by replacing the alternator

if the idle problem continues you may need to check the Idle Air Control Motor

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks Paul. You've been a great help!

No Problem

thank you for using Just Answer