sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo: that wont start..dash... a key

I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo that won't start. Has gas, battery is fine but there is a little light on the dash... a key with a line through it what do I do?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

What happened when you first tried to start it and it wouldn't start? Did it start up and die a few times? Or crank but not start at all?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It cranks just fine but will not start

Turn the key on without trying to start the engine and take note of what the fuel gauge and voltmeter do. See if they work or if they are staying down now that it won't start.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

All are staying down.

For whatever reason your powertrain control module (PCM) is down. This is the module that controls the engine. This can be an internal PCM problem or external. If the PCM loses a power or ground feed, if the sensor ground circuit shorts to voltage, or if any of the 5v reference circuits short to ground it will take the PCM down.

It's going to take some electrical testing to see what is going on for sure. If you have a 4.0 engine a very common cause of this is an internally shorted crankshaft position sensor which takes the PCM down. If you have a voltmeter and are able to do some electrical testing I can help you determine what is going on.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't have a voltmeter :( Is this something that will need to be taken care of by a dealership? Or... do other garages have the ability to fix it?
Any good independent shop or dealer should be able to diagnose and repair this. If you have a thick gray-headed ignition key however, and the PCM is the problem, the replacement one will need to be programmed using a dealer scan tool. The thick gray key means you have the SKIM system which uses special programming and a transponder chip in the key to be able to start and run the engine. The blinking light you saw on the dash sounds like it was the SXXXXX XXXXXght and you do have this system.
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist