ricardo hohl
ricardo hohl, Instructor
Experience:  ase master certified ,and factory certified,also autmotive instructor for 28 years
14457476

88 jeep cherokee limited: start fine..road..the car is cutting

88 jeep cherokee limited, the car will start fine and go down the road fine, but sometimes it seems like the car is cutting out, like it has no power to get going and it takes forever to get to speed. it can come out of it all of the sudden and take off fast.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  ricardo hohl replied 4 years ago.
hi, sounds like you have a fuel problem .perform a fuel pressure test pressure should be over 40 psi with engine running and if is not then replace the fuel pump and filter.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how would you perform the pressure test?
first you will need a fuel presure tool, this is a tool you can get from any auto parts store rent it or by it. then locate the fuel rail at the engine compartment in top of the intake manifold, then locate the fuel valve and install the fuel pressure tester to this valve then start the engine and see if the fuel pressure goes up to 40 psi.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
One more question and I will give you your money, thank you for your help. If the fuel pressure test comes out at 40 psi what direction would you look after that. again thank you for your help.
then its possible to have a crank sensor problem affecting the fuel injectors the crank sensor is between the transmission and the engine .here is the fuel pressure test procedure, make sure you copy this page or print it right away.
Notes

NOTE: The fuel system employs a vacuum assisted pressure regulator. System fuel pressure should be approximately 214 kPa (31 psi) with the vacuum line connected to the regulator. With the vacuum line disconnected from the regulator, fuel pressure should be approximately 269 kPa (39 psi) . This is 55-69 kPa (8-10 psi) higher.

Fuel Pressure Test

PROCEDURE

1. Connect the 0-414 kPa (0-61 psi) fuel pressure gauge (from Gauge Set 5069) to test port pressure fitting on fuel rail.
  2. Remove vacuum line from pressure regulator.
  3. Start the vehicle.
  4. Note gauge reading. With vacuum line disconnected, fuel pressure should be approximately 269 kPa (39 psi) .
  5. Connect vacuum line to pressure regulator. Note gauge reading. Fuel pressure should be approximately 214 kPa (31 psi) .
  6. Fuel pressure should be approximately 55-69 kPa (8-10 psi) higher with vacuum line removed from regulator. If not, inspect pressure regulator vacuum line for leaks, kinks or blockage.

Fuel Return Line

1. If fuel pressure is low, momentarily pinch shut the hose section of the fuel return line. CAUTION: Fuel pressure will rise to as much as 95 psi when the fuel return line is pinched shut. Shut engine down immediately after pinching off fuel return line. If fuel pressure remains low, inspect the fuel supply line, fuel filter, and fuel rail inlet for blockage. If fuel pressure rises, replace fuel pressure regulator.
  2. If fuel pressure is above specifications, inspect the fuel return line for kinks and blockage.
  3. Check the fuel pump flow rate (capacity). Refer to Fuel Pump Capacity Test. A good fuel pump will deliver at least 1 liter of fuel per minute with the hose section of fuel return line pinched off. If the fuel pump does not pump adequately, inspect the fuel system for a plugged fuel filter or the filter sock (at the fuel pump inlet).
  4. Fuel pump flow rate can be checked with and old air conditioning gauge hose. Connect one end of the hose to the fuel test port on the fuel rail. Place the other end of the hose into a container of at least 1 liter capacity. Run the fuel pump by installing a jumper wire across the power feed side of the fuel pump relay connector. Be sure to pinch off the hose section of the fuel return line, or most of the fuel will be returned to the fuel tank. NOTE: The fuel pressure regulator is not adjustable.

here is the cranck sensor make sure you copy or print right away.
Notes

Crankshaft Position Sensor (Typical)

The Crankshaft Position Sensor is mounted on the transmission bellhousing.

way.
ricardo hohl, Instructor
Experience: ase master certified ,and factory certified,also autmotive instructor for 28 years
will you be needing any more help? if not can you please acsept so i can get pay for my time. thank you.