brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee: Engine cuts..interstate..traffic..re-start

Customer Question

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 190k miles: Engine cuts off with no warning, and in all conditions, warm, nearly-cold, at idle or interstate speed. It can go for days with no issues, and then this morning it cut off twice in traffic. Usually re-starts, sometimes does not quickly re-start. Noticed gas mileage dropping lately, from avg 18 to avg 13. Recently replaced plugs, old ones did not look "bad", but noticeable increase in pep w/new plugs. No dash lights, all gauges register normal, no codes in OBD (AutoZone). Any ideas?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
When the vehicle quits or wont start back do you know if it looses fuel pressure or spark to the plugs?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no, I don't, the longest it has taken to re-start is about a minute, and 4-5 tries. how would I check for lost spark, or lost fuel pressure?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
You would need to hook up a gauge to check for the fuel pressure. As for spark would need to remove a plug and ground it and see if it makes a spark when cranking the engine. Most likely the problem you having is with a failing crank sensor or cam sensor as many times they fail and will not leave a code. It will be hard to diagnosis if it starts right back up. You will have to wait for the vehicle to fail to start to diagnosis it or take a chance and replace a sensor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is replacing a crank or cam sensor a big deal? Do you have any diagrams or pics?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

Both are fairly simple to replace and will take around 1/2 hour each.

The camshaft position sensor is located in the distributor.

graphic

The crank sensor is located on top of the transmission bell housing

graphic

brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It was the crank sensor, and it was a bear to get to, but it is done!

Once again you came through! This was the second time I needed help from you and both times you helped. I am telling everyone I know about JustAnswer.com and Jeff!

Best regards,

Charlie Simmons
XXX-XXX-XXXX
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

Glad you got it!!!

Also glad I could help. I wish you no bad luck but if you need help again just ask for me when asking the question.

Take Care,

JB