ricardo hohl
ricardo hohl, Instructor
Experience:  ase master certified ,and factory certified,also autmotive instructor for 28 years

2004 jeep grand cherokee: the ground wire borke..driver side..pannel

I have a 2004 jeep grand chrokee. the ground wire borke for the driver side control pannel. Fixed that. Found a Light blue wire just hanging down behind the fuse box with the end stripped. Could not find were that went. After I fixed the ground wire, the ABS, break, and engine light all came on. Not sure why.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  ricardo hohl replied 6 years ago.
hi the light blue wire you saw was a wire for the stereo system and its not used unless you have a amplifier, its strip at the end but no power is on it at all.if the abs brake and engine light are on then you need to go in with the scanner and reconfigure the abs brake pinion factors ,and the engine light is part of the problem . you need to access the codes stored on the pcm and anti lock brakes module.then let me know what they are i can help you then.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
none of those light were on before i fixed the broken ground wire. why would they come on after i fixed that wire. also my wife said that there is problems with the wiper also. could that control pannel be pulling to much power and cause everything else not to work correctly

did you had a problem on the vehicle that made you find that ground wire?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the control pannel driver side would not work. the windows, mirrors, door lock. also none of the windows buttons would work. the keyless unlock would not work on the driver door. the only botton that would work was the door lock on the passenger door. the keyless door lock would work on all doors but the driver door. when i pulled the wire cover down between the the door and and side of the car i found the broken ground wire. now the wire is 14 gauge and i use 12 gague to reconnect the two ends of the ground.
ok i see yes that ground is a common problem on this trucks that ground is connected to a large amount of other components and they where not operational before and know they are. have you done a battery disconnect procedure?, disconnect the negative cable and with the cable touch the positive terminal this will drain the capacitors, and allow the pcm and all other modules to reset them self. try this and let me know.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
now after the ground wire borke the battery went dead. i did not replace the battery for about 3 months. but i fixed the ground about 3 months after i replaced the battery.
ok, lest do a battery disconnect and see what harpings.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so i have to do is disconnect the battery and reconnect it.
disconnect the negative cable of the battery and with the negative cable touch the positive side for 30 seconds don't worry it will not short out as long as one of the post it will be ok just touch them together and then reconnect and see what happens.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
now the check gauge light is on as well the break, abs, and engine light. but i did have trouble getting the negtive end to reach the postive post.
ok, do all this gages and lights stay on when the engine is running?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i did not strat the car, just turn the key. all the light went on and all but break, abs , enging and check gage lights went off. should i strat the car.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
did not work
you mean the lights stay on?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the abs, break, and enging lights did. the check gauge light went off.
ok, then if they stay on then you will need to scan the ecm and the anti lock module to read what codes are stored on the computers memory , this codes will help us find the problem you can have a regular auto repair shop read the codes for you they will ussualy not charge you for just reading the codes for you, let me know what they are.